An Abrupt Invitation

Jeez, how dumb did I just sound? 'Use the nickname if you want' god I'm so awkward. Whatever, he didn't seem to mind me being an idiot.

Sam led us through the living room and into the kitchen. To the right of the kitchen I spotted a long hall that led to another room, family photos littered the wall and I couldn't hold back a smile.

While I walked a little ways into the hall to browse, Sam began preparing a snack for us. I noticed that there weren't any recent looking photos of the man I assumed his father was. Knowing my fair share about lost loved ones, I decided to not bring it up.

"Do you like butter on your popcorn or would you want just plain?" His question brought me back into the kitchen. "Hm, butter please. Plain popcorn is just too bland for me." I replied as I walked over and stood next to him in front of the counter.

He had already taken pre made popcorn from the pantry and was currently pouring popcorn butter and salt into three different bowls of it. I watched intently and once he was done he offered me one of the bowls. As my fingers barely had a grip on the bowl, Sam let go too soon and the bowl fell to the floor, shattering.

Popcorn and pieces of the bowl scattered all over the ground and I looked up at Sam. "Oh my god I'm so sorry. I guess I wasn't holding it well and-" my apology was cut off by the sound of a door opening and footsteps making their way to us from the hall.

A pretty older woman with hair braided to the side came out. The look on her face was anything but happy as she said, "What's all this noise?"

Sam looked utterly speechless and it was obvious he couldn't come up with something on the spot. So instead I took it upon myself to say something. I stepped out of the way of her sight so she could see the mess. "I am so sorry Miss, Sam had handed me the bowl and I accidentally dropped it. Don't worry I can completely pay for another and I'll clean up the mess." I put on my most sincere voice as I spoke to her

After hearing my explanation her face and voice immediately softened. "Oh don't worry about it. I'm just thankful you told the truth." she added a small laugh that lightened my tense shoulders. With that, she went back down the hall and to her room. Sam and I turned to each other with baffled looks.

We were both expecting some long lecture from her. I let out a quick laugh at the whole situation and Sam did the same. "Where is your broom?" I asked as I looked down at the mess of popcorn and bowl shards.

He walked towards the back wall next to the fridge and grabbed a broom. After he handed it to me I started sweeping everything into one large pile, doing my best not to miss anything.

Once it was all together I used the dustpan to sweep it up and dump it into the trash. Sam placed the broom back for me before getting down onto his knees. He had grabbed a damp rag with some soap on it and he was now scrubbing away the buttery liquid still left on the floor.

"Sorry about my Mom, she can be a bit intense sometimes..." He mumbled before standing back up. "Oh no she's fine, I totally get it. I feel bad about the bowl though." I replied. He draped the rag over the edge of the sink before placing a large towel over the area he had just scrubbed. Sam grabbed both of the bowls off of the counter and looked over at me.

"Do you wanna just share with me?" he asked, motioning to the two bowls. After giving him a nod he smiled and walked back over to his room. I followed after him and closed the door behind us.

Sam gave Sebastian one of the bowls and I saw him start to happily eat the snack. The other bowl was handed to me, so Sam could use both hands to play the guitar.

I ate a few pieces as I watched him play a bit of music from memory. "Row could you go through some of our sheet music and maybe fix a few things in it to make it flow better?" He asked before setting the guitar and pick down onto his bed. His hands rummaged around on his shelf until he pulled a folder full of handwritten sheet music.

"We worked on a bunch of different songs in each genre, but now that I decided we should focus on rock, I have some songs from that genre we should put our attention on." Sam briefly explained as he pulled a few different papers from the folder, handing them to me.

I stared blankly at the papers and then at him. "Uh why me? Like I said I'm not even that good and I haven't worked on songs for a band since high school and that was a few years ago and-" I stopped myself from continuing with the excuses because it was obvious Sam was determined to have me help. "Okay fine, but when it turns out to be worse you can only blame yourself." He only nodded vigorously with an excited grin before putting the folder back onto the shelf and grabbing the guitar again.

The two boys started to work on something together but I tuned out their instruments so I could focus. I had taken a seat at the desk, pencil in hand as I looked over the sheet music for one of their songs. It wasn't horrible but... scratch that it was awful. The different measures for each instrument didn't blend together well at all. Immediately I got to work fixing this hot mess. The structure for the song wasn't all that bad, but many notes had to be changed to flow better. Sam would probably ask me to teach him how to compose proper songs... It's not like I'm this musical genius, I've just had a lot of experience writing and performing songs.

A long time had passed by of me fixing a part of the song and then having them play it for me. Sometimes I'd make even more fixes after actually hearing it from them. Sam seemed delighted at my contribution and even Sebastian was slightly pleased. Earlier Sam had requested for me to add a drummer part to the little song because they had been planning on getting a drummer for the band.

A sigh of relief came out of my mouth once I realized I was basically done. Of course more changes would probably be made as they played it all together, but my part was done.

I hadn't even realized how much time had passed, looking over at the alarm clock on his nightstand I saw it was almost 6pm. Holy crap I had spent multiple hours at his house...

Sam and Sebastian didn't seem fazed by the time, probably having spent longer time working on their music together.

Sam and Sebastian had stopped playing their instruments and were chatting about something together. While they did so I stacked all of the papers I had changed and added, leaving them neatly on his desk for him to review later. Not to be too cocky, but I think I did a pretty good job on the music.

There was a knock on the door that brought all of our attention to the front of the room. His mother opened it moments later and stepped in. "Sam dinners just about ready, why don't you invite your friends to stay and eat?" she asked before walking out. Sam looked at Sebastian and then me, waiting for our response. "No thanks, I should probably head home anyways. Got a project I need to finish soon." Sebastian replied before leaving the room and then I heard him leave the house.

Sam looked over at me with puppy dog eyes. I mean of course I had the power to reject the offer, but it's not like I had anything better to eat at home. I still hadn't gone food shopping and would probably end up eating another poptart. "Sure I'll stay for dinner." I shrugged casually. His eyes seemed to shine with happiness and I felt like he was too bright.

"Awesome! My mom will be so happy to have a guest over. I should probably help her go set the table and get the extra chair. Why don't you go get Vince from his room?"

"Alright." I said before following him out of the room. He motioned to the door across the hall from his and I nodded. Sam walked over to the kitchen to assist his mom and I knocked on his little brother's door.

It was opened almost immediately and the child's hand grabbed mine, pulling me into the room.