Confrontation

"Mae wait! I haven't even shown you proof of what she said!" I called out as I struggled to keep up while drying myself off. Sam had offered me his towel since I left mine. Speaking of Sam, this whole time he had been silently following along with Sebastian and Penny.

"Proof? Your word is enough. I don't doubt that jealous bitch would stoop that low." She yelled back as she walked across our farmland, getting closer to the pathway towards town. Towards Abby.

"I don't want you to hurt her- maybe it's a misunderstanding. Maybe the texts weren't her!" I yelled and Mae stopped dead in her tracks.

"Texts? I thought she said it in person. Show me now." Mae stated once we caught up with her.

We all walked towards my cabin, my shirt still dripping with water.

I reached towards my nightstand drawer to grab my phone. My hand trembled slightly and I felt like such an idiot. I shouldn't have told them. I was just overreacting. It's nothing. Now I've probably made them hate her- or maybe they hate me now. Why else have they been silent?

I held the phone out to Mae as I glanced out the door at the other three. Penny looked back at me with concern while Sam and Sebastian had their backs to me. I could hear the faint sound of their voices whispering.

"Is it her number?" I asked as Mae scrolled through the messages. The more she read the more I saw her hand begin shaking. She walked past me and out the door, handing the phone to Sam.

The two guys read through the texts with Penny as I leaned against the door frame.

'You've ruined everything.'

'They think you're an idiot'

'He's going to break up with you and realize what a pathetic waste of space-'

"Rose?" Penny gently shook my shoulder and I came back down from my thoughts. "Oh sorry-" I glanced past her and down the stairs to the empty spot where the other three were. I turned to my left and I saw them in the distance walking back towards town. "Shit-" I moved to follow after them but Penny gently grabbed my arm.

"I think you should let them sort this out. I don't think Abigail will say nice things when she sees you..." Penny took on a worried tone but I shook my head. "It's my fault for even getting them involved. I don't want to ruin their friendship with Abigail because of me."

She sighed and let go of my arm and I quickly jumped down the steps and ran after them, clothes still soaked.

"It's not your fault Rose!" Penny called out as she began walking after us.

Even though I farm every morning and had gained a lot more muscle, running was not my strong suit. By the time I caught up to the three of them they had reached the stones pavement of town square.

"Wait!" I yelled as I caught up to them, grabbing the back of Maes shirt and Sam's shoulder since he had left his clothes at the lake.

They both turned to me and had a look in their eyes that I had only seen when Mae was about to beat the shit out of a girl who made fun of me for wearing swim trunks at a pool party.

"I think it's just a misunderstanding. I'm sure she didn't mean it! Maybe it wasn't her." Somehow I found myself trying to defend the very girl that a few hours ago told me to end my own life.

"I'm not letting her get away with this." Mae stated before pulling away from my grasp. I turned to Sam and Sebastian. "Please guys- stop her. It's my fault I shouldn't have even brought it up. It's my issue to deal with."