An Unexpected Visit

It was slowly becoming evening when I turned off the television. Tired and sluggish, I got ready to make dinner. When I made my way over to the small fridge I realized I had nothing for dinner. "Shit..." I mumbled,contemplating my options. I could either eat nothing or grab something quick at the Saloon. Ultimately I decided to just eat nothing and go get groceries tomorrow. Most likely I would have to go do laundry as well so tomorrow seemed like it would be a busy day for me.

Sighing at the thought I made my way over to Arson perched on my bed. Like usual I scratched him behind the ear and he immediately began purring. "Your purr sounds like a motorcycle." I giggled at the feline. My laughter abruptly stopped when I heard a knock at the door.

"Crap, who's here this late?" I mumbled quietly as I made my way to the door. Quickly smoothing my hair down so I would be decently presentable before opening the door.

My eyes widened in shock and before I could say anything I was smothered into a bear hug.

"Mae?" my voice was soft and quiet, full of disbelief. Just a few hours ago I had texted her, she must have already been driving over before that.

"You had me worried sick dumb ass..." she mumbled as she squeezed me tighter. Once she realized I could barely breath she pulled away from the hug, but kept her arms on my shoulders.

"What are you doing here? How? Don't you have work-?" I started to bombard her with questions but she didn't seem to mind.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it. Anyways- Got any food? I'm starving." Without answering my questions Mae walked over to the fridge. I closed the front door and walked over beside her. "No, sorry. I was planning on going shopping tomorrow-" I barely uttered the last word before she yanked my arm and dragged me over to the door.

Swinging it open and then dragging me out. "Mae! I can't go- just look at my outfit I look homeless!" I protested, but her iron grasp on my arm did not falter.

"Ma'am, you look gorgeous like usual. Some messy clothes won't change that." She glanced back at me, loosening her grip a bit so she wouldn't give me a bruise. I puffed my cheeks up like an upset toddler while my best friend began dragging me towards town.

"Mae, you know you didn't have to come all the way here. I'm sorry for worrying you but-"

"Hush."

"But seriously Mae-"

"I came because I wanted to see you. End of story."

Her words sounded harsh, but I could tell that she didn't mean any harm when she ruffled her hand through my hair.

We made our way into the town's plaza and she finally let go of me. With my two free hands I began smoothing and brushing out my hair. "I'm craving some pizza and alcohol. You in?" she looked back at me with a raised brow. "Uh sure-"

At that moment I realized that since it was a Friday, Sam and his friends would most likely be at the bar. "Hey wait Mae-" I tugged on her shirt sleeve to stop her in her tracks.

Turning to me, she raised her brow again. "I need to explain a few things to you..."

I began explaining to Mae exactly what happened at Sam's house, my face getting red from the sheer embarrassment I still felt. Even though it had lessened tremendously, it still remained.

"Holy crap- Are you doing okay? If you want I can go get the food and drinks while you stay here?" She offered as she gave me a sympathetic look.

"Yeah, I'm doing okay mostly. I met this girl Haley and she helped me a lot with some confidence issues." I reassured her and then began thinking about her offer.