A Life Changing Letter

My fingers tapped away on the keyboard. The clicking sound of each key felt like a blow to my sanity. I hate this place. I hate it with my entire being, and yet I say here, typing my life away.

When will it all end?

"Hey Row I'm going across the street to that cafe for lunch wanna join?" I heard the voice of my coworker and only friend Mae as she knocked on the outside wall of my cubicle. She stood there patiently and waited once I nodded and began packing my things into my small purse.

We both clocked out for break and made our way down the elevator. Once we reached the main floor we quickly left and crossed the street.

The delightful smell of freshly baked foods filled my senses. "This place never gets old." I commented as we walked through the door and made our way to the same table we always sat at. It gave us a view of the bustling street outside the front window.

After a few minutes of us chatting, a woman approached us with a small notepad and pen. "What would you ladies like today?" she asked cheerfully with a soft smile. Oh how I'd kill to trade jobs with her.

Mae ordered what she usually got and I did the same. Once the woman left with our order our conversation resumed.

"I'm just so tired of this place, this city." I groaned. My head slumped between my shoulders in defeat. "I think that company has finally driven me mad." A sigh escaped my lips as I spoke, Mae gave me a look of pure understanding.

Even though she had a much higher tolerance than me, she still resented her job too.

"I just wish there was a way for me to escape and start from scratch, ya know?"

"Didn't you just tell me the other day about the letter your grandpa gave you? I think it's the perfect time for you to open it!" her voice drastically changed to a more delighted tone.

"Hm you think? I don't know..." I responded with a hesitant look, my hand hovered over my bag on the table. Inside of my purse I kept the letter in its neat little envelope. It had been years since my grandfather had died and I had been holding on to it all this time. It felt like the only piece of him I had left.

"You totally should! Maybe he left you a fortune! You'd be set for life Row!" She giggled happily and I could feel her legs bouncing under the table.

I opened my mouth to respond to her, but the woman came back with a tray of what we ordered.

In front of me she placed an egg and ham bagel sandwich, along with an iced vanilla coffee. Mae got a large slice of chocolate cake and a hot cocoa.

"Oooo lets dig in!" I smirked before picking up the bagel sandwich.

A few minutes had passed, few words were spoken as we savored our foods. I finished chewing and swallowed my last bite before saying, "I'll open it." Mae seemed shocked at my words, she had fully expected me to decline opening it like I had the previous years.

"Oooo do it now! I wanna see it too!" She reached across the table and nudged my bag towards me. "Alright Alright." I said with a laugh at her enthusiasm.

After building up my courage, I grabbed the bag and pulled it into my lap. It took me a few moments to search its contents before I found the aged letter.

I took a deep breath "Here goes nothing." I mumbled before breaking the envelope's wax seal. My eyes started on the first line and I began reading to myself, once I was done I would let Mae look at it.

The letter from my dead grandfather wrote:

Dear Rose,

If you are reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.

The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong. I've included the deed to that place... my pride and joy: Misty Farm. It's located in Stardew Valley. On the southern coast. It's the perfect place to start your new life. This was my most precious gift of all, and now it's yours. I know you'll honor the family name my girl. Good luck.

Love, Grandpa

I hadn't even realized while reading it I had started to tear up. Quickly I wiped the tears in my eyes with my sweaters sleeve before passing it over to Mae.

Her eyes lit up as she read and once she finished she gaped at me.

"Holy shit you're gonna be a farmer girl!"