The Dance?

A few days went by and Robin finally finished the coop. Filled with anticipation, I got ready as usual and went out to the farm. As fast as I could I watered the crops and harvested the ones that I could. Once I was done I ran over to where I had her build the coop.

Arson followed along behind me and when I opened the door he ran in. Hopefully he wouldn't hurt the new baby chickens.

"Isn't it neat? Robin did such a wonderful job." I spoke with admiration filled eyes. "Let's go get the new chicks." I waved for the feline to follow me and I closed the coop door behind us.

He trotted along behind me as I led us down to the ranch. Unfortunately, Marnie wasn't at the Ranch. "I wonder where she went?" I questioned aloud. Maybe it was too early, it was still around 8am.

With a slight feeling of disappointment, I went back to the farm. Arson meowed at me before running off into the forest to go do whatever cats do.

As I made my way back into my cabin I checked my phone. There was a message from Sam reading, "Yo you coming to the flower dance?" Extremely confused I texted back, "The what?"

I could just sense him laughing at my response. He answered saying, "Check your mailbox." I sighed and put the phone in my back pocket before heading out to my mailbox.

There were a few letters in there since I hadn't checked my mail for a while,

"Dear Rose,

Tomorrow, the 24th, we're all getting together for the flower dance.

If you can find a partner, you might even want to participate yourself!

There is a little clearing beyond the forest west of town where we hold the dance. Arrive between 9am and 2pm if you would like to Participate.

-Mayor Lewis

(p.s. You might want to wear something more formal. Like a suit or dress)"

I read the letter over again until I realized today was the 24th. That's why Sam asked me. "Shit-" I rushed back inside and tossed the letters onto the table. Quickly I took a shower so I wouldn't smell like a farmer. Then I grabbed my phone to check if Sam texted me again. Instead I saw a message from Haley.

"What are you wearing to the dance? Normally we wear white dresses to participate."

"I don't know what to wear, I just learned about this dance 20 mins ago."

"Oh... Well if you hurry up and come over I might have something for you."

Her message brought a sense of relief over me. For some reason a part of me really wanted to go to this dance. My old self would cringe at the thought, but spending time with the people of Pelican Town didn't sound too bad.

After reading her message I changed into a random t-shirt and shorts before heading over.

By the time I got there it was a bit over 9am and the whole town seemed to be heading to the event.

Quickly, I knocked on her door and waited for her to answer. Emily greeted me instead. "Rose? Are you heading to the dance with Haley? That's lovely." She smiled and I nodded in response before she opened the door wider for me to enter. I stepped in and she walked out. "I'll see you there then." The strange woman waved and then walked off.

"Haley?" I called out as I approached her room door. "Come in!" she yelled.

When I walked in I was met with her putting on some makeup. "So-" she interrupted me, "Your dress is over there, I used to wear that one a few years ago when I was your size." She motioned a hand behind her before focusing back on her makeup.

I followed her hand and saw the dress laid out on her neat bed. "Holy crap- I don't think I have ever seen a dress that white... How does it not have stains?" I asked her with disbelief as I grabbed the dress.

"I'm just not dirty? I don't know. I was just careful when I wore it. Plus they used to have us change into them when we got there so maybe that helped. But after the incident... We change at home now that's all that matters." She laughed nervously and pointed at her room door. "Anyways- You can go change in the bathroom out there." she instructed and I did as told.

Making my way into the bathroom, I noticed the pretty beach theme it had. There were some cute shell decorations here and there. After admiring the clean room, I started to change.

The white dress had a nice lace design on the torso area with a pretty red ribbon around the waist. Turning to the mirror I looked at my reflection. Even though it was something I would normally never wear, I felt pretty in it.

My confidence lifted, I walked out. I must have been in there longer than I thought because Haley stood waiting for me. Her dress was similar but had a bottom that flowed smoothly with floral patterns.

My jaw dropped at how beautiful she looked. As I stared her cheeks turned pink. "W-what? Is something wrong?" She stuttered and I only laughed. "No, no. You look lovely, that's all." I assured her and her face got even more red.

"L-lets just go." She mumbled before grabbing my hand and leading me out the door. 

(Authors Note: omg this is probably the shortest chapter I've written idk. Dont worry its just a set up for the next longer chapters :) Tysm for reading ily guys <3)