Stop Overthinking

My first instinct was to call Mae of course, the only person I vent to. I couldn't though, she was working. I knew that if I were to call her all distressed she would drop everything for me, but I didn't want to be a burden to her.

I sat down on my bed, tossing my shoes to the side. I laid my head back as I stared up at the ceiling. My thoughts were flooded with questions and strong emotions.

Why did I do that?

Why would I freak out?

It wasn't even a big deal-

He was just being friendly.

You're an idiot.

Ruined what would most likely be an amazing friendship.

You probably embarrassed yourself more.

They hate you now.

I sat up and closed my eyes, rubbing the sides of my temple.

There was no reason for me to be thinking or feeling like this. He was just putting his arm over my shoulder. What if he thought it would give him more space? Was Sebastian urging him to do it?

Like the over thinker I was, I began reading too far into things. I must have sat there for at least a few hours. There was a knock at the door that brought me out of my own head.

My breath hitched in my throat and I held it. It would most likely be Sam at the door coming to make a mockery of me.

No, he isn't like that.

I held my breath for a few moments until the person knocked again.

"Helllllo?" The voice of an impatient woman brought both relief and shock to me. I let go of the breath I held and walked over to the door. When I opened it I saw the blond Haley standing there.

"Oh?" I quirked an eyebrow. She was looking down at the wooden patio of the cabin. "I came to uh. I came to say thank you." She finally looked up and I could see the pink in her cheeks. "The cake was really good and it made my day." She kept her lips pursed after she finished talking, clearly embarrassed. I could tell she wasn't used to thanking people.

"Yeah, no problem dude. Vincent mentioned it and I felt bad about our first impressions soooo yup." I gave her an awkward smile as I scratched at my neck. "When is your birthday?" she asked abruptly. "Me? Oh um." I took a second to think, "It's in the summer, the 28th I believe." With that information she quickly nodded before leaving. "Wh-" She's weird.

Haley's visit made me forget about my overreaction earlier for a little while. I wondered why she would go out of her way to come thank me. Especially after I was such a prick to her. Maybe I got my hopes up a bit too much when I thought about how she might get me a birthday present. It seemed like a logical explanation as to why she wanted to know the date.

Eventually my thoughts from earlier came back as I laid in my bed. I didn't bother to change my clothes, unmotivated to cook. Simply just laying on my bed, getting myself worked up.

There was no way I could go near or even hangout with those guys again. It was just too embarrassing. They probably laughed their asses off when I over reacted.

Why did I act like that though. It's not even like I have feelings for him after all, I barely know him.

But he's kind. So incredibly kind and considerate. Maybe he didn't hate me after that, but it was just too embarrassing for me. The thought of showing my face in town after that made me feel even worse.

You're just overreacting, no one cares.

Everyone knows and they are gonna laugh at how stupid you are.

Don't worry, everything will go back to normal.

You ruined your chance in this town, you'll have to go back to your old job.

The thought of that sent a shiver down my spine. What happened wasn't even that big a deal, but to me it felt like such a huge issue.

Such is the life of an Overthinker.

(Authors Note: Sorry this chapter is so short, its more of a filler. I used some personal experience being an over thinker to try and communicate how someone might feel in that situation. I know its way shorter than the usual, but I'll make up for it with a long chapter after this. Well it's late for me so I shall be going to bed. Good night lovelies <3)

(also if you see any errors shhh, im writing this while exhausted half the time lmao)