Hard Work and Movies

A few hours passed and it was about 5pm when I checked the time. We had made decent progress and had mostly cleared the area in front of the cabin and the path towards town. Using the tools Mayor Lewis had left was a big help. The axe helped chop chunks of wood on the floor into more manageable pieces, as well as chop a few trees down. The pickaxe broke large rocks into smaller ones and the scythe cut down the tall grass.

Using some of the wood I had collected, I made a chest to store the rocks, fibers, wood and all of the other stuff we were getting.

Mae had slumped herself over a large tree trunk at the entrance to the farm. We weren't able to break it or move it, but it was pretty out of the way so it didn't matter much.

"Holy shit are you going to have to do this all the time? I'll pray for you in the comfort of my bed in the city." she joked with a weak laugh, clearly exhausted. We had been taking breaks while we worked, but it was still exhausting.

"Well with this much land cleared out I'll be able to plant some crops I think. And I can slowly clear a bit more land every day." I explained, she only nodded lazily and I knew she wasn't paying attention.

"Should we call it a night and watch some movies? And maybe get some Pizza from the Saloon?" she suggested, it wasn't really night yet though. The sun was still out but it would be setting in the next hour or two. I nodded and we both cleaned up the tools and placed them back inside the box. We made our way back into the cabin.

"Ugh my boots are all muddy..." I mumbled as I took them off and placed them beside the door. She did the same before walking over to the tv.

"You take a shower first and I'll pick the movie. I don't want you to pick the same movie we watch every time." Mae said before walking over to a basket filled with cd's next to the box tv. I rolled my eyes at her, but what she said was true.

I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a comfy knit sweater before walking into the bathroom. The fresh pair of clothes went on the shelf below the clean towels and my dirty clothes were scattered on the floor. I stepped over to the shower and turned it on before stepping in.

After my shower and getting changed into clean clothes I walked back into the main room. "That felt so amazing." I said as I rubbed a towel on my damp hair. Mae sat in front of the tv with a stack of movies beside her, somehow she was still choosing a movie. "Why don't we watch-" before I could finish my suggestion she cut me off with a loud "Shhhh!"

"Geez... I guess I'll go get the pizza while you do that..." I mumbled before getting up. She didn't respond so I assumed she wanted me to get the pizza. I slipped on the pair of flip flops and grabbed my wallet before heading out.

The sun was getting closer to the horizon and the sky took on a pinkish and orange glow. "The valley sure is beautiful." I said to myself quietly before heading towards Pelican town.

It didn't take me too long to reach the Saloon, when I opened the door the familiar scent of alcohol and freshly cooked food greeted me. The saloon was almost as busy tonight as it was yesterday. Obviously people would come by on the weekends. I wondered if the trio I met yesterday was here, but I decided it didn't matter.

I made my way up to Gus, his mustache as stylish as ever. There was a blue haired girl cleaning a few bottles on the shelf behind him but I didn't recognize her.

"What can I get you today?" he asked before setting down the glass he was cleaning. Why was he always cleaning a glass whenever I was here?

"One large cheese pizza and a pack of soda please." I replied with a forced smile. I definitely looked strange with my clothes and damp hair, but he smiled happily nonetheless. "Coming right up." He said before signaling to the girl behind him.

I waited a few minutes at the bar until he handed me the box of Pizza and the soda pack. I struggled slightly to hold the pizza and the soda pack, but I thanked him and left quickly. On the way out I felt a few stares of the other patrons and just ignored it.

The walk back was fairly quick while the sun was setting beautifully in the distance. With both arms full I couldn't open the door, so I tapped my foot against it and made sure to be loud enough to hear.

A few seconds later Mae opened it with wet hair and a cat onesie on. "Quite the interesting fashion choice." I laughed before walking in. She rolled her eyes before closing the door behind me.

It was a relief on my arms to set down the soda pack and pizza onto the small table. "Oh you got soda too? Good job." she said before grabbing the plates off of the counter we had used earlier. By now they were dry and it was easier to use these than grab new ones.

We both grabbed a few slices and put them on our plates before walking over to the tv on the floor. I set my plate down on the rug and grabbed two cans of soda. Mae made herself comfortable on the rug with a blanket now wrapped around her. "Here." I said before placing the can in front of her.

I took my own seat next to her on the rug and she messed around with the remote a bit before putting on the movie. She had chosen the movie 'Mean Girls' for us to watch first. "Ah, a classic." I commented before picking up my plate and taking a bite of the pizza. The movie started and we both watched it, mostly in silence. Here and there we would make comments and laugh.

The rest of the night we ate more pizza and drank more soda as we watched a few more movies. Eventually we both fell asleep during the third movie 'Clueless'