Cheater

I heard Haley let out a deep breath as I raised my hand to knock on Sam's door. I heard some shuffling and after a few seconds it cracked open. "Oh it's you- good. You're the last ones here." Sebastian fully opened the door once he saw us. "Really? She lives right next door though..." I walked past him and into the house. "Well I got here super early and the other two got here a minute ago." He explained as he shut the door behind Haley.

She glanced around the unfamiliar house anxiously and I reached for her hand, giving it a comforting squeeze.

My goal was to hopefully patch things up with Haley and Sam, as well as get to the bottom of whatever was happening with Harper.

Why the hell was she here of all places?

I led Haley through the living room and towards Sam's open room door. She paused for a second before stepping in. I spotted Mae and Penny sitting on the green carpet by his bed. Sam was pacing near the empty spot that used to hold Abigail's drum kit.

Haley flinched as everyone's eyes fell on us. I turned and gave her a small smile and she did her best to force one in return.

Sebastian closed the room door behind him as he walked in. "So, Harper is back..."
Penny let out a gasp at the news and Mae seemed confused. Sam seemed unphased by the news, so I assumed he was already told.

"I'm guessing she's who you two ran into?" Sebastian asked as he looked at the two of us.

"Yea..." Haley's face grew visibly more anxious at the memory.

"SHE WHAT?!" Mae shrieked as Penny finished whispering a brief explanation. "Calm down- imagine how hard it is for Sam..." although she was whispering we all heard Penny's voice.

Everyone's eyes moved towards Sam. Out of anyone in this group he had the right to be upset and freaking out, but... he looked calm. His expression was neutral, almost too void of emotion.

It hurt to see him like that. His usual carefree smile and attitude seemed to have been sucked out of him. For a moment he looked up from the floor and made eye contact with me. I saw a flash of pain in his eyes before they returned to the floor.

For some reason it stung seeing him look at me like that. I couldn't tell what was going on in his head and I just wanted to know how to help him.

"What should we do about Harper?" Penny broke the anxiety filled silence. "I say we beat that bimbo black and blue." Mae cracked her knuckles and made sure to show off her bicep muscles.

"I vote we ignore her." Haley's suggestion brought all of our eyes to her. "She's clearly only here to get attention of some sort, so let's not give her what she wants. Let's pretend she doesn't exist." Her simple suggestion clearly seemed to pique everyone's interest. Everyone but Sam, he continued to have an emotionless expression.

"Blondy might be onto something... the worst thing you can do to a narcissist is ignore them." Mae rubbed her chin philosophically as she spoke. Haley sighed at the use of Mae's nickname and I gave her an apologetic look.

"It might be harder than it sounds, but for now I guess that will work." Sebastian rubbed his temple after speaking. His mind seemed occupied with something else.

"Meeting adjourned?" Penny questioned and everyone slowly nodded. Sam kept to himself in the corner, lost in thought.

Haley was the first to leave, saying she had something she needed to finish up before Sunday. Penny and Mae left after her to resume their mall shopping.

"Hey Rose..?" A familiar voice whispered as I was about to open the front door.

"Hm?" I hummed as I turned to see Sebastian. Worry plagued his face and I felt my stomach knot with anxiety.