2: Meet Cute...Kind Of

I spent the rest of the day lying down, staring at the ceiling while listening to music. Mom and dad said I'd have to give the new neighbors a cake, they never said what time. But with my mom banging on my bedroom door around 6PM, I think I knew what time they wanted me to be the mailwoman.

I got up and removed my headphones before quickly heading down the stairs. The cake was still on the table as promised, and the house smelt of lasagna. Seems like dad's cooking tonight, cause mom NEVER makes lasagna. Not even on her good days.

I gave my dad a nod and then took one good look at the cake. Damn, wish I was the neighbor instead; the cake was probably vanilla or chocolate, because if mom bought this from the store, then she wouldn't have guessed their preference. Either way, if that girl I saw earlier really is our neighbor, I could coax her into giving me a slice.

Heading out the door, I quietly made my way to their yard. Walking up the steps and stopping by the door, I hesitated a bit. What do I even say to them?

'Oh hey, saw that you're new in the neighborhood and we probably want to force you join the cult- I mean church, sooner or later. In the meantime, here's some cake.'

Or do I just, simply stare at them until they take the cake?

I sighed, then decided I'd just improvise. After a couple of knocks, the door opened to the girl again, this time, looking way more comfortable than the last time I saw her. She was wearing her pyjamas with a black satin gown on top. Her braids were tied into a neat bun and she looked like she just scrubbed her make-up off because of the way her bushy eyebrows we're not combed and her slightly big lips a little dry. I stared at her for a bit until she cleared her throat.

"May I help you?" She said, her voice sounding way more innocent than I'd expected it to be.

"Um, yeah. I—well I mean you're in a gown— I mean hey." Fuck, Cameron, why are you so fucking awkward? "Sorry, I just wasn't expecting you to look like this when I answered the door. Especially since I look like a pile of mashed potatoes."

And I was telling the truth: my braids were loosely tied into a ponytail while I sported a brown tank top and grey sweatpants, I think it's safe to say I did look like a pile of hot flaming shi–

"That's alright. I don't look too presentable myself. Is that for me?" She pointed at the cake, and gave me a small grin to ease my embarrassment.

"No–" My eyes widen as she frowns, then I quickly realised my mistake. "Shit, I meant to say yes." I sighed. "God, I'm messing up so much right now."

"I can see that." She chuckled, taking the cake. "You can go slow this time, you can even close your eyes if I'm horrendous to look at."

I shook my head. "No, you're not!" I then blinked a little too fast, and took a deep breath before speaking slower this time. "My parents and I wanted to give you and your family this. A little welcome gift for you."

"I appreciate it a lot, I'm going to take it in right now." She grinned. "Alexis."

"What?"

"My name." She frowned. "My name is Alexis."

"Oh! I'm Cameron." I laughed it off nervously. "Cameron–"

"Diaz?" She joked.

"I wish. I'm Cameron Jones," I introduced myself, giving her a handshake. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," Alexis said back. "Well, I have to go inside now. It's getting pretty dark, and I don't want you to get a cold."

I got confused for a minute, but then it dawned on me. "Oh yeah, I'm wearing a tank top. Gosh, you're right, I need to go. I'll be seeing you around?"

She gave me a nod. "For sure."

She shut the door, and I cursed at myself again, before leaving for the house.

***

"I'm telling you Blake, I stuttered and looked like an idiot in front of a gorgeous woman." I sighed into the phone, pacing around the room. "She probably thinks I'm a freak or something."

"I mean, I don't think it was that bad. You're just over exaggerating it."

"I flipping thought she called me Alexis when all she was doing was telling me her name!" I stopped, forgetting that I had to close my curtains.

"Yeah, you're a hot mess."

"I know, I know," I said, making my way to the window to close the curtains. "I wish I could do things differently. Like maybe..." I paused and looked out the window.

"Cameron?" Blake echoed out. "Cam?"

"I'll call you later yeah," I said.

"I swear if you hang up this phone I will-"

I hung up and threw the phone on the bed. Staring out the window, I saw Alexis sitting and writing something down. So, being the dumb human I am, opened the window and took a pen of mine off my table, and threw it at her window. She looked at the window immediately and saw me, laughing to herself before going to her window. She opened it and gave me an incredulous look. She began to speak, but looked at her door. She then got an artist's pad, and began to write something down.

When I said I'll be seeing you again, this is not what I meant.

I laughed, and got a similar pad out. Taking the marker I had, I wrote down my response.

Well, this is what I meant.

I winked at her in the process, and she shook her head, tearing the paper off. She then took a bit of time writing something down, and when she was done, she flipped it over.

I can't talk to you through a flipping window. My parents are gonna know about this.

I laughed again. She's worried about that?

I'd be dead meat if my parents knew about this, so don't you worry. But if you're so scared, then why don't you just give your new friend your number and we can just text? :)

It was a long freaking shot, but fuck it. I'm used to rejection, nothing is worse than your own parents rejecting you because of your love life. Not that they have, yet.

She nodded, much to my surprise, and showed me the pad with her number on it. I quickly wrote it down, and gave her a thumbs up. She chuckled a bit, and closed the window before mouthing a 'goodnight' to me. I mouthed it back to her, closed the window and then the curtains. Walking over to my bed, I picked up my phone and dialled Blake.

"You better have an explanation as to why you hung up so abruptly," She immediately said when she picked up.

"You're not gonna believe this."