17: Falling For Ya'

Setting up another poster around the gymnasium was hard. Doing it with your best friends was even harder.

Doing it while terrified of heights was impossible.

But here I am, standing on the ladder with the tape and poster, ready to stick it to the wall while Blake and Terry hold the ladder down. Alexis had agreed to do the halls, and we decided to do the gymnasium, and now I'm thinking it was a bad idea because of my fear getting the best of me.

These posters are for the proposed prom theme. Prom was at the end of our school year, but we always tried to at least let everyone know the theme months before. And with Blake asking me to help her figure out the thee, we finally got it, and now our prom theme was Angels and Demons.

Neat, huh?

Terry purposely moved the ladder a bit, making me scream. "Terrance!" I yelled, trying to steady myself, "Don't be stupid!"

He chuckled a bit. "Sorry mate."

I huffed and continued to stick the poster, finally finishing. I looked down at Blake and gave her a thumbs up, and she nodded.

"She's done." She told Terry. "Hold it steady so that she can climb down safely."

Instead of listening to Blake, Terry tilted the ladder towards Blake's side, and I screamed as I fell into her arms. You know those movie falls that have the guy catching his love interest and then they fall in love while looking into each other's eyes?

Yeah, this catch wasn't like that. I can't even count it as a catch; she did catch me, but she didn't hold me. She caught me and her legs gave out because of the extra weight, and she fell too. Basically, she cushioned my fall as I lay on her legs, groaning.

Terry helped me up. "My ba-"

I punched him in the gut, angry, "What the hell?!" I then left a groaning Terry to help Blake up. "Come on, Blake." I grabbed one hand and pulled her up.

But I must have pulled with too much force because the next thing was when she was finally up, she practically hit my body with hers, putting us way too close and in a position to even kiss. We didn't kiss, but what did happen was that her eyes went as wide as saucers and she pushed me off, making me actually fall this time.

"Jesus, sorry Cam." She apologized while Terry helped me up again. "For the catch and also for the uh...that." She gestured to the scene.

"No, it's cool. I mean, it's not everyday you see me falling for anyone." I laughed, then quickly changed my wording after seeing her frown. "Like, literally falling. Not falling for you like a girlfriend or something-"

"Alright then, Cameron." Terry saved my blabbering ass. "I think the gym looks good, don't you think?"

Blake nodded. "This should be good for sometime, I'm going to go check on Alexis. See if she's done with the posters outside." She made a move before I held her arm.

"I'll do it, Blake. Don't worry about it." I stepped in, watching Blake give me a confused look. "She isn't entirely comfortable around you."

"And she is around you?" Blake asked.

"I guess you could say that." I shrugged. "I'll catch you later."

I dusted my pants, and walked out of the gymnasium. Walking into the halls, I found no one, and instantly began wondering where she was.

"Maybe she's by her locker or something." I murmured to myself, setting out for the other side of the halls.

When I got to her locker, I froze, watching Alexis furiously tear down the notes stuck to her locker. She looked dismayed, and had wet tears on her face as she frantically removed the papers and throwing them to the floor. I walked over to her and tapped her shoulder.

"Alexis?" I said, watching as she wiped her tears. "Are you okay?"

She shook her head, and I took it upon myself to show the most generous gesture of affection I was never able to show anyone else; I pulled her into a hug, and she immediately tightened the grip around me. I gave her a small squeeze, and accidentally, a smile crept up to my face, with me not knowing why.

"Why are you doing this Cameron?" She sobbed.

"You were there for me when I was at my lowest, so I'm here for you." I whispered in her ear, and I felt her physically shudder, "Calm down, I got you, Lexi."

I shocked myself by calling her Lexi. It had always been Alexis, and never Lexi. But now, it's Lexi...and I don't know why.

We pulled back from the embrace after what seemed like an hour, and I used my hand to wipe away the fresh tears. "Let me help you clean up, okay?"

She nodded, and I knelt down with her, cleaning up the mess of torn paper on the floor. When I finished I stood up, and walked to the nearest dustbin and threw the papers. Walking back to her, I place my arm around her shoulders, and lead her to the nearest toilet to help her freshen up.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Shit man, today was the weirdest Monday I've ever had." I said to Terry on the phone, closing my book and placing it on my desk. "Firstly, I fall and land on my best friend/crush, next I run into Lexi and comfort her because that damned pussy struck again." I sighed, relaxing in my chair. "What is happening to me? Who am I becoming?"

"Could it be that you're, you know, maybe developing something for Alexis?"

I hollered, hitting my hand on the desk. "What? Me? Fuck no!" I then stopped to think for a bit, before softly chuckling, "Couldn't be me, Alexis is just a friend!"

"Yeah, but you embraced her, you don't do that to anyone." He pointed out, and my heart dropped down to my ass.

"Terrance, I never told you that we embraced each other." I said slowly. "How do you know about that?"

There was a long pause at the end of the line, then he responded, "Okay, I didn't want to tell you this but.. there's an Instagram account that was made by the...by the person. And their first post is-"

"What's the account name?"

"It's called platastea and their first post is you and Alexis...seemingly hug-"

I hung up on him, and quickly logged into my Instagram. Searching for the account, I clicked on it and saw the post; a picture of me and Alexis hugging one another. But what struck me most was the caption;

@platas.tea: told you they were gay for each other❤️

60 comments

60 flipping comments already? Goddamn.

I left instaram and immediately called Alexis, who picked up in a heartbeat. My breathing had quickened, and I wasn't sure about telling her what I found, but I had to.

"I already saw it, Cameron." She said in monotone, "I'll come over this weekend to talk about it." She then hung up, and I threw the phone on the bed, lying down and screaming into the pillow.

Flipping Plata students.