18: '#Camis!' Really People?

For the first time my dad has actually made me happy by heeding to my request; inviting Alexis over for a night.

The past week was hell for the both of us; from people shipping us as 'camis' to my own best friend asking me if I was dating Alexis, things where just difficult this week. The way things work at the school just makes me hate teenagers in general; tht believe anything they see, even if they see someone on top of another by accident, they'll believe that they're sleeping together. It's like there are unwritten rules to being a teenager, like if you talk to someone continually, then you're automatically in a relationship with them. That's what's happening here; the friendship between Alexis and I being interpreted as something more by others. Fuck, even the social club asked if we were seeing each other.

I swear I'm this close to knocking someone's teeth in.

Praise the Lord it's finally Friday; no stress(other than homework and working on projects) and absolute freedom from the horrors of highschool. Alexis is currently playing with my heart shaped pillow while I figure out what the hell to do next.

"I can't believe a bunch of idiots thought you hugging me was like you and I having sex." She commented, throwing the pillow up in the air and catching it. "This rumor would be understandable if you and I were kissing or if you had pinned me to a wall or something."

"Have you been envisioning me pinning you to a wall?" She sat up immediately, her eyes as big as saucers. "What? That was a vivid image."

She scratched the back of her head. "No, I haven't."

"I mean I can if you want to. Wouldn't be so bad anyways, you probably-"

"Cameron! Not helping." She hit my head with the pillow. "We need a solution here, and you're busy trying to pin me against a wall."

I smirked, getting on top of her and pinning her hands above her head. "I mean, this wouldn't be so bad, would it?"

She looked nervous, and by the way my hands were getting sweaty, I was too. "Cam, get off me."

I quickly did once my mind was straight."Right, sorry. I was just playing..." I cleared my throat, "Okay, what's the problem, Alexis? Tell me about it."

She sat up and fiddled her fingers. "I never thought me moving here would cause so much drama. Like, why do teenagers even care about someone else's love life?" She began, "I mean, look at it this way: people don't like you because you're a lesbian, and automatically that's a problem They think you're going to fall in love with every girl you see, like me-"

"Girl I am not falling in love with you." I laugh. "What?"

Alexis rolled her eyes, scoffing. "It was an example, Cameron. I know you like Blake...but anyways! Let me finish." I nodded and she proceeded, "And since I'm the new girl hanging out with the supposed 'wrong crowd', I'm initiated into the social stereotypes! 'New girl falls for the school's social outcast' a fucking title that I don't need and want. Like what the hell man?"

"I get this is not how you wanted your final year to go." She nodded, and I continued to speak, "But, there's nothing we can do except try and fight the stigma, even if it means losing a couple of braincells in the process."

"But how do we fight it, Cam?"

I stand up and get to the paper that had the rules. I walked back to the bed, and gave it to her. She laughed.

"What's this gonna do, Cam? It's just a stupid list." She muttered, looking at it then looking back up at me, eyebrows raised, "What happened to the rest of the rules?"

"Lexi, I threw away the first one." I said softly. "I...I thought I had to."

"Why?"

"Because it was stupid." I sighed. "I was approaching this the wrong way, and I realized that we need to make a new set of rules. Rules that don't apply to being a sexual orientation, but rules that apply to everyone that is fighting a social stigma or some sort of discrimination because." I placed my hand on top of hers, "Because I believe that no one should be judged based off of things they can't control, like their race or disability. We need to make this list universal."

"What do you mean we?" She asked. "I thought this list was just for you."

"That's what the old list was for, but this one." I smiled at her, getting a little closer and taking the pen that was on the bedside table. "This one is for everyone, and I want it to apply to everyone. That being said, I don't think I can finish it alone."

"Are you...are you asking me to help you finish the list?"

She looked surprised, and I was too. But after much consideration and thought, I decided that Alexis was the perfect candidate to help me finish the list. Maybe Roseanne too...but that is yet to be confirmed cause I haven't asked her yet. I really wanted Blake to help me, but with the way she's been acting recently, and the way she doesn't like Alexis, I reconsidered it. So, for now, Alexis is on board... hopefully.

"I mean, I can't do this alone." I admitted out loud, watching her break into a small grin. "And I could use some help."

"Cameron, I would love to help you!" She exclaimed, grabbing the pen from my hand. "But I have a few additions though."

"Go on."

"You're right, you can't do this alone. And if we really are looking at the social issues that occur in highschool and society, then I think we're going to need more people."

"Where do we get them, Lexi?"

"The club." She smiled wider. "If they really want to. Because we are all so different, and we can get a wider range of ideas. We can learn more about the stigmas surrounding them, and then write it." She explained, "These 4 rules are great, but we're going to need more. And if you truly want it to reach a wider audience, then this is the way to go!"

I admired Alexis's enthusiasm, it's a refresher compared to Blake's cynicism and shallow exterior. Alexis is someone who cared about other people, and she was kind and endearing too. Blake is...well, Blake.

"Alexis?"

She stopped smiling once she noticed how serious I was. "Cameron?"

"Do you...do you believe in me?" I whispered, and a small smile appeared on her face.

"I believe in you more than you know of, Cameron." She said. "More than you know."

"Thanks." It was silent for a while, and then I spoke again. "Joanne."

"What?"

"My second name." I smiled. "It's Joanne. You can call me CJ if you ever want to."

I took her hand, moving over so that I could sit besides her, and she instead placed her head on my shoulder, which was surprising to say the least.

"Do you mind?" She asked with a quiet voice.

"I...I don't." I said, playing with her hand. "I don't mind."

And I really didn't.