44: I'm Still Your Daughter(Part 1)

"So you're telling me that Cam's parents are declining your calls, not going to church, and are not opening their doors up to visitors?" Alexis asked her mom, hand in mine.

"Correct, Lexi." Her mom confirmed. "They aren't communicating with us."

"But...we can fix this, right, Cam?" She looked at me for support. "We can fix this and you can go home and be with them again! Happy ever after, right?"

"Happily ever afters are overrated anyway." I shrugged, leaving the room and heading up the stairs.

"Are you losing hope, Cam?" She asked me and I nodded. "You're joking."

"That's just the way it is, Lex. We can't change everything." I sighed. "If we could, I'd get up and change the course of time, and probably never tell them my sexuality ever again."

"Come on Cam, it's not like you to lose hope." Alexis urged me while I opened the door. "You're one of the people that believes in a happy ever after even when no one believes in one."

"Not everyone's gonna get that satisfactory ending, Lexi." I plopped onto her bed, watching her remove her hairband. "If that was the case, no one would be divorcing and feeling miserable, or even dying with regrets. But here we are."

"But there's hope, Cameron, don't you see that?" She stood in front of me, pulling off her jacket. "You guys were angry, all you have to do is talk things out and come to an understanding with your dad."

"I don't have a dad." I muttered.

"Yes you do." She wasn't taking my bullshit. "You have a dad and you love him and you're going to go talk to him, do you hear me, Joanne?"

I stood up and turned her around, removing her necklace. "Yes sergeant."

"I'm serious." She turned back around. "You're going to talk to him, whether you like it or not."

"You can't force me."

"Is that so?" She took a step closer and I took one back, landing on the bed.

"Yeah, and your little intimidating act isn't working." I courageously stated, sitting on the bed properly. "I'm not going to talk to them."

"Are you sure, babe? I mean...no harm in trying." She said shyly.

"Right, may I remind you what happened last time I took your advice?" I asked her, and she looked away. "Since you've forgotten, here's what happened; I took your advice and told Blake I liked her, and she rejected me. I then took your advice and came out to my parents that didn't stand for that shit. Now, you want me to go and talk to them, knowing very well that they said I shouldn't step foot in their house unless I start liking guys?"

"I see your point, Cameron." She said, reaching out for my hand. "But please consider this, Cameron. You've come out to them, you've let things out in the open, and you've set the foundation of understanding. Now all you need to do is-"

"Not you trying to motivate me." I laughed. "It's not happening."

"Okay, I'm done asking you. I'm now begging." She got on her knees. "Please, Cameron, talk to them."

"Are you really tired of me sleeping in your bed?" I joked. "If it's that bad, I'll go and sleep on the couch, I promise."

"Even though you snore loudly, that's not why I wanted you to talk to them." She muttered. "I need you to go talk to them because it's important to make things right. This may be your final year seeing them, so why not leave with an impression?"

"Alexis, no."

"Why won't you do it?" She said, exasperated, "When will you ever stop being so stubborn?"