47: Rule 11- Remember Your worth

Walking into one of the last club meetings as a senior made me feel sick to my stomach, but not in the worst way possible. It made me feel sick because I was leaving behind the one thing I clung onto so hard during my last year; relevance and acceptance. With the club being nearly full with seniors and juniors, it gave me hope that this would continue even after the pioneers are gone.

Alexis opened the door for me, and when I entered, I immediately greeted Mr Dale and the rest of the members. They began clapping, and Mr Dale positioned me in front of the students, grinning at me. Alexis sat in the front, also smiling, leaving me in utter confusion.

Roseanne stood up and walked over to me, standing by my side. She reached for my hand, held it, and gave it a light squeeze. I still didn't know what was going on, but when Mandy, a fifth year senior stood up with a banner saying 'Thank You', that's when I knew.

"Cameron." Mr Dale began. "These few weeks are the final weeks of you being confined to this school. The final weeks of you being stifled by the social classes and stereotypes that rule this school, and your last to make an impact. I wanted to thank you so much." He took a step closer to Roseanne and I, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I want to thank you for giving me more relevance to my job, and for starting a movement. From now on, our school is working to a better future; one where mental health can be expressed freely, and one where we can confide in each other better."

"You made it possible for those who weren't accepted by the teenage 'standard' feel like they belong somewhere." Mandy said, walking up to me as Mr Dale moved out the way. "You made it possible for all of us to relate to one another, to feel wanted, to feel loved. Because of you and your resilience, the club is thriving and open to more people. You should be proud."

"I know you may think that everyone was against you when you first came out." Some dude stood up, smiling at me. "But we weren't. We were afraid to speak up, afraid to say our minds. We didn't want to be judged, but you? You didn't care. You took the fall with grace, and didn't even stumble when you got back up. Whether it's evident or not, you inspired everyone here. You helped us remember that we matter in this world, and that our voice deserves to be heard either way. So Cameron, Roseanne, as a club, we'd like to say thank you."

Everyone began to clap as Alexis stood up and rushed over to me, engulfing me in a hug. I laughed and hugged her back tightly, closing my eyes and savoring the moment. When she let go, she gave me a nod, and I smiled at her. She sat back down with Roseanne, and I held back tears as I took another step forward to look at everyone: we were all different in our own rights, but one thing connected us; our souls. Different in color, but the same in spirit.

"When I first started this club, I never knew it would make a difference in the school." I started. "I was hesitant to even get as far as having 10 members, but when I realized that it isn't the quantity that matters but the quality, it made things better. I thought I'd give up when the bullying began and Blake would harass me and my original members, but with the help of my original members, I continued on. And now, we're here." I whispered. "I'm confident to say that the club won't end here. It'll continue with new and stronger leaders, leaders like Amanda."

Mandy looked perplexed, but when I motioned for her to stand up, she did.

"I didn't say your name out of coincidence, I said it because I believe you are the right person to continue the club." I explained. "Make it bigger, make it better, make it known. Make it possible, Amanda, I want you to continue the club as the leader."

Mr Dale gave a thumbs up, giving me the green light. I walked over to her, and pulled off my badge, pinning it on her. Her eyes lit up, and she gave me a gentle smile before I pushed back a strand of her golden locks behind her ear.

"You got this." I whispered. "I believe in you."

She gave me a hug. "Thank you."

When she pulled away, I walked back to the front. I took a permanent marker from the desk, and began to write on the corner of the whiteboard. Everyone gasped when they realized it wasn't a whiteboard marker but me? I knew what I was doing.

I was writing down the rules.

"These are all the 12 rules for how to not be straight." I explained. "I want them to stay right here, even as I leave. I want everyone that walks in here know that these rules apply to them as well, and that they can be the best version of themselves. These rules aren't for gays or queers, no. They're for everyone who feels like they aren't fitting into a societal norm, and thinks they aren't good enough for the world that they're in. But in reality, it's okay to be different. We shouldn't beat ourselves up about it, being unique is awesome in a world full of bitchy, stereotypical people. I mean, normal is boring, isn't it?"

"Cameron, rule 12..." Roseanne trailed off before coming back to Earth. "Isn't that the hardest rule of them all?"

I smiled at her, holding the market tight. I looked over at Alexis, who was staring at the board in silence, before catching my glance. She smiled, and when she blew me a kiss, I grew more confident in my answer.

"It may be the hardest, but it's the one rule that matters the most."