9: If You Want A Change, Be The Change

After my random speech in the cafeteria, I was called in by the guidance counselor that afternoon. Currently in the office, I ate my food quickly as he watched me silently.

"What? I didn't eat that much." I burped, wiped my mouth with my sleeve, and placed the wrapper in the bin. "Now we can talk. What's on your mind, Mr Dale?"

Mr Dale pulled his glasses down. "I heard your speech."

"I can tell." I smiled, happiness riding waves within me. "How was it? Awesome? Heartfelt? A fucking snooze fest?"

He sighed. "I'd say language but I reckon you don't really care, do you?"

"Finally, someone sees I don't." I held in the urge to scream like a girl. "But why am I even here? OMG, am I going to get a scholarship because of my epic speaking skills?"

He shook his head, holding back a smile. "No, I don't have that type of authority."

"Dang it." I looked down.

"Cameron, may I please get to the reason I brought you here?"

"Go ahead, sir."

"I'll take part of what you said, you do have some great speaking skills. You ever thought of being a public speaker?"

I looked up, staring at him confused. "But...I already am in the club?"

"You seem like a social rights activist."

"I'm not. I just have a problem with certain social issues and I think it's-"

"That's what a social rights activist is," He laughed. "Cameron, tell me, what inspired you to go ahead and say all that? That was a pretty neat impromptu."

"You're a nice teacher, sir, so I'll tell you why." I placed my elbows on the desk. "If you didn't know, I'm queer. And it's so hard being one with all these homophobes that literally breathe down my neck, parents that probably won't accept that because of their religion, and friends that changed after I announced it." I explained. "It's even worse being a black person who is homosexual. Just all the cons in my life right now."

"So your parents don't know about it?"

"Of course they do! They support me so much and understand when I don't feel like doing certain things!" I said sarcastically. "Heck no, they don't know, and I don't plan on telling them either. I mean, they'd look at me differently."

"How do you know?"

"Because I know, sir," I muttered, my mind erasing the thought immediately. "You have no idea what they'd do to me."

"Cameron, so you're never going to tell them?"

I shook my head. "Eventually I will, when I'm gone and in college." I grinned. "Not now, that could really fuck up my chances of living in this hell hole."

"Alright, now that we've sort of cleared that up, I wanted to ask you something."

"Shoot."

"You ever felt like using your voice for good, just like what you did today?" He asked me, and I frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"Cameron, you may be a forward person, but I see the passion in you. You're capable of so much, and I believe you can do so much for the world, and how they view certain issues." Mr Dale explained. "You're not afraid to speak your mind, and how you did it today, I noticed that you are so persistent to get the right idea across. So, Cameron Jones, do you think you can do it?"

"Do what, Sir?" I asked quietly.

"It may be too much, but I want you to continue being you. Continue speaking up on these issues, continue fighting for what's right." He smiled. "I want you to take part in changing the society, or at least a part of it. And your start, could be here."

"I can't change them, sir. I can only do so much," I muttered. "I've always wanted to be in a school where I won't be judged by things that don't concern or affect my future. But no one can see that except me." I looked away from him. "I want to see a change."

"Cameron, let me give you some advice." He leaned in a little closer. "If you want a change in this world, then be the change."

I leaned back in my seat, and stared at him. His eyes were sincere, and I felt a sudden surge run through my body. Standing up, I give Mr Dale a nod.

"I'll consider it." I walked to the door but stopped as my hand fell onto the latch. "Sir?"

"Cameron?"

"Thank you." I cracked a smile. "Thank you so much."

***

Once I got home, I rushed up the stairs and to my room so quick I almost fell on the stairs. I got inside, slammed the door shut, and locked it. Throwing my bag down, I walk up to the wall which had my list on it. I tear that list off the wall, and scrunch up the paper before throwing it in the bin. Going through my drawer and getting another brightly colored paper, I sit at my desk and take a marker.

"Fucking shit," I curse, watching as my phone rang. I picked it up.

"Cam? I didn't see you the entire afternoon. You alright?" Blake asked me as I wrote down the words 'How To NOT Be Straight'.

"Don't worry about it, Blake. What I need you to do is this; help me get the contacts of Emily, Rose, Darren, Chloe and Felix. I'm going to need them."

"What are you doing now Jones? You've already caused so much drama." She sighed through the phone.

"Pleas Blake, just do it. For me?" I ask her, pausing.

There was a brief moment of silence before she answered. "You're lucky I love you, Jones." She hung up, and I quickly looked at the list.

How To NOT Be Straight.
1. Stand your ground
2. Make sure you look normal though
3. Don't be afraid.
4.???

I put the paper down and call Alexis. She answers so quick I even falter for a second.

"Scary lady," She greeted.

"Alexis." I buried my pride for a moment. "I think I'm going to have to change the list a little, and I'm going to need some help."