Chapter 31: The Light and The Darkness

"Hey, Omma!", Taehyung sighs into his phone while basking under the night sky and sipping his whiskey in his balcony.
"Taehyung, how did they let you call me at this hour?", Mrs. Kim asks.
"I made them. I wanted to talk to you", he says.
"You made them?", she laughs, "Should I even bother asking how?"
"No, don't", he smiles, "How are you Omma? Are they treating you right?", he takes another sip.
"They are all scared of you here. So, yes. They treat me right",she chuckles, "I miss you Tae".
"I miss you too"
"Are you okay son? Why did you call at this hour?"
"Nothing. Just..I just missed you. Also, I had good news"
"Really? Are you visiting me? Are you bringing Jungkook too?"
"I will visit you soon Omma but that's not the good news", Taehyung doesn't have it in him to tell her about Jungkook. He can't break her heart, specially when she has been waiting to see him, "I got the Han riverside land and construction starts tomorrow", he tries to sound as excited as he can.

"What? Tae..", she chokes a little. She cannot believe his son was about to realise her only dream. Tears threaten to leave her eyes, "I don't know what to say.."

"Just say you love me mom, that should be enough", he laughs trying to hold his own tears in. Oh how he wants to tell her everything that happened in his life and how he wants to sob with his head in her lap!

"I love you son and I am proud of you. I am proud of the man you have become"

Silence.

"Tae..do you hear me?"

"Yes, yes, I do", he responds wiping his tears away before he downs the whole glass of whiskey in his hand.

"Tell me. How are you? How is everything with Jungkook? Are you happy?", Mr. Kim asks dying to listen to stories of his son being happy and being loved.

"Um, Omma. I think time's up. I gotta go. I will see you soon. Okay?", he tells her trying to not choke on his words with every drop of strength in him.

"Okay. I love you!"

"I love you too!"

Taehyung drops down on his chair and throws his head back watching the night sky and thinks about how he would have to break his mother's heart when he would tell her about Jungkook. He mentally enacts the time when he would tell her that he isn't happy and he isn't loved. He decides he shouldn't see her just yet. He decides he doesn't want to face her just yet. He pours another drink and downs it at once. His phones rings. It's Maria. "Someone's here to see you", she tells him.

"Who?"

"I think you should see for yourself"

"I am in the balcony. Send them here", he has no intention to either stop drinking or to leave this zen under the night sky. Something about the dark sky comforts him and something about it made uncomfortable at the same time. He cannot really tell what. He stares at the moon like he envies it. Could Jungkook be watching the moon right now? Can the moon be watching Jungkook right now? Could it be watching him sleep? Watching his serene face? Could the moon be caressing his body with its moonlight that falls all over him while he sleeps from the bedside window that Taehyung knows always remains open during the night? Oh how he would kill to be the moon! He pours another drink.

"Hey? Maria let me in", Hwasa walks into the balcony.

"THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?", Taehyung springs up from his chair.

"I..I am sorry. I just wanted to talk and it was urgent", she tries to explain, "Please just listen to me, Tae".

"Mr. Kim", he corrects her before sitting back down and signalling her to take the seat infront of him.

"Okay, Mr. Kim", she adds awkwardly before sitting infront of him.

"Feel free to help yourself with a drink", he says taking another sip, "And talk".