18.

She couldn't believe this, she was doing one thing she would never do, not that she would do it again, but the point is, she never even accepted dates. This was huge and now she was walking in Seattle Grace hospital, bypassing her friends and trying to find him. She wasn't even sure if he was working right now, but it was worth the effort to find him here. She was going to say yes, to one date and one date only. It would serve no purpose, because nothing would come of it, she wasn't going to let it which sounded negative, but that was how things would be. So one date, that was it.

"Meredith?" Derek called from down the hall, carrying a chart.

"Oh...hi." Meredith turned around , spotting the familiar man walking down in the hall in dark blue scrubs. She couldn't help but smile and think that he did look good in them. She definitely noticed how good he looked right now which probably made her look stupid with the smile but still, they were great scrubs.

"What are you doing here?" Derek asked, handing the chart in his hands to a nurse.

"I was just....I had gotten coffee across the street and...here." She replied, handing him the second cup in her hand.

"Thanks." He grinned.

"It's just a non fat coffee with three sugars...I wasn't sure what you liked." She said awkwardly, her free hand moving into her pocket.

"That's perfect actually."

"Oh...okay." She shifted on her feet.

"Do you want to go to my office or something...so we're not standing in the middle of the hall?" He offered.

"Oh...you look busy...are you? I can leave...."

"I just got out of surgery so I have a little bit of downtime."

"Oh...okay." Meredith pushed her hair behind her ears. "You're office...we can go there."

"Thanks for the coffee" Derek said, leading her to his office.

"Your welcome..."

"Not that I'm not glad to see you but...aren't there coffee shops closer to your office?" Derek pulled his chair out from behind his desk.

"Oh um...yeah but I just...I was close to here."

"I'm glad."

"I just um...." Meredith took a deep breath, standing nervously in front of his desk. "I want to go on a date with you."

"You...what?" Derek said, unable to keep from smiling.

"One...I want to try...I'm willing to go on a date...if you still want to." She bit her lip, looking out his office window.

"I definitely still want to" Derek stood back up.

"Oh...okay." Meredith shifted on her feet, trying to not look so uncomfortable. "I um...we don't have to...if you don't want to."

"I want to."

"Oh."

"I'm just curious...Why did you change your mind?"

"I just...it's just one date." Meredith blurted out, "It doesn't mean anything...just a date...if you want."

"I understand and I do want to go on this one date with you." Derek smiled.

"Okay." She whispered as he stood in front of her.

"Did you um...have a day or something in mind?"