39.

Her phone, she'd been staring at it since she'd gotten home from work and all she could think about was how she wished it would go off. She wanted it to go off because that meant Derek had gotten a chance to text or call and that was all she wanted which made her crazy. She wasn't sure when she'd become the girl who waited by the phone but it had been sixteen hours since he'd kissed her goodbye in bed and all she could think about was how the little texts just made her want more.

"Pink or green icing for the cookies, Mer?" Lexie asked, holding up two tubes of cookie frosting.

"Yes." Meredith replied, tapping her cell phone on the counter.

"Yes pink or yes green?"

"Pink or green what?" Meredith asked, flipping her phone open.

"Cookie frosting, for the third time." Lexie groaned.

"Oh...green."

"What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing." She sighed, taking a plain cooking and breaking off a piece.

"You've been cranky ever since you got home." Lexie said, starting to frost the cookies.

"I'm not cranky." Meredith replied, quickly flipping her phone open and sighing as she realized the text was from George, not Derek.

"Okay...depressed?"

"No." She replied, taking a bite of the cookie.

"Whatever." Lexie rolled her eyes.

"These are good."

"They're Mom's recipe. She always made them for me and Molly when we were little." Lexie smiled.

"Did she make heart shaped ones?" Meredith giggled as she held up a new cookie and the box of cookie cutters.

"Sometimes." Lexie laughed. "You can take the heart shaped ones to Derek."

"I'm not taking him a heart shape cookie." Meredith rolled her eyes as she grabbed a knife and dipped it in icing. "But maybe I'll decorate one for him."

"That's cute." Lexie grinned.

"It's not cute...I'm just...he's working until Sunday and he might want a cookie...when he gets home."

"You miss him so bad."

"No I don't." Meredith said quickly as she began to ice the cookie.

"Liar."

"So, I expect you to explain to Derek why I'm decorating him a heart shaped cookie."

"Because you heart him."

"You're so lame."

"It's true. You're like...googly-eyed over him."

"No it's just...you only made princess and heart shaped cookies out of the millions of cookie cutters...so the only choice I had...was a heart." Meredith replied, sitting the cookie on a bakers rack as she reached for the sprinkles.

"Is that one especially for Derek?" Lexie laughed.

"Maybe."

"I made so many cookies. You can give him more than one."

"But I'm decorating this one."

"You can decorate him more than one. I made an extra batch for us. The rest are for the kids at the hospital...something Izzie wanted to do."