31.

"Open your door." She groaned, holding her shopping bags and purse in her hand. She just wanted to collapse and be away from everything outside. The trailer was good, she just needed to be inside. "Derek...open your..."

"You're early." He sighed, opening the door to the trailer.

"Remind me why I even talk to Addison or Lexie." Meredith replied, storming into the trailer and kissing him quickly before sitting at his small kitchen area.

"Because their your best friends." Derek said, kissing the top of her head, before sitting across from her.

"I'm tired of shopping." She groaned.

"You were shopping all day?"

"Yes."

"Get anything good?"

"Clothes I don't need."

"I thought you were supposed to be picking out a birthday present."

"We got a few things, but apparently I was supposed to pick out more but I was annoyed so...I left."

"Why were you annoyed?"

"I just...I just was." Meredith groaned.

"What did they do to you?" Derek asked again.

"Nothing I just...I don't want to talk about it." She replied, biting her lip.

"Right." He nodded. "Besides that, how was your day?"

"I shopped...all day."

"Did you come here from the mall?"

"Yeah."

"Can I see what you bought?"

"Yeah." Meredith pointed to the bags, resting her head on the table.

"Okay, something is clearly bothering you." Derek said, putting the bags aside.

"Nothing is bothering me." She groaned, turning her head. "I shopped all day, Addison and Lex pissed me off...my birthday is tomorrow....nothing is wrong."

"Your birthday is tomorrow." He smiled.

"Yes."

"I want to give you your present now since its gonna be hectic tomorrow night." Derek said, going into the bedroom to get the package.

"Derek you don't have to get me anything."

"I know, but I did."

"Ohh."

"Here." He breathed, handing her the wrapped gift."

"Thanks...." She smiled weakly, slowly unwrapping the little packet, revealing a velvet box.

"If you don't like it, you can exchange it. The receipt's in the bottom."

"It's...Derek...." Meredith replied, her heart speeding up as the diamond necklace sparkled in front of her.

"Is it okay?" Derek whispered, hoping she liked it

"It's great but...Derek..." Meredith frowned, closing the box.

"What's wrong?"

"It's...that's a really big gift."

"It's your birthday...Birthdays were always a big deal in my family and they still are to me."

"Derek..."

"If you don't like it, it's okay."

"No...it's...Derek I like it but..."