40.

Driving this fast was definitely illegal, but he could care less. It was almost midnight and he still hadn't been home. They have been able to successfully perform the stand-still operation but they had to wait longer than expected so Derek wasn't home when he had said he was going to be. He had tried to keep her updated as to when he'd be home, but once the surgery started there was no way to call her or text her. And now he was finally on his way home, to see her after two very long days at the hospital.

He quietly let himself into the house and went upstairs, assuming that everybody was already sleep, a smile spreading across his face as he saw her in one of his big t-shirts sweatpants, arranging the pillows, ready for bed. "Long time no see." Derek said.

"Hi." She looked up, holding the end of a throw pillow in her hands as a smile spread across her face.

"It's Sunday."

"It's Sunday." She breathed, dropping the pillow.

"Come here." He laughed, walking halfway towards her and opening his arms.

"Okay." She smiled, walking up to him, and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I missed you." Derek whispered, giving her a light kiss.

"I missed you too."

"What have you been up to?"

"Nothing." She replied, running a hand through his hair. "Lexie went over to Molly's for the night because Thatcher....I just stayed and read...I watched a movie and took a shower."

"Did you sleep at all last night?" He asked, giving her a quick kiss.

"A little." She replied, kissing him again. "Did you eat anything?"

"Not really. I had a quick breakfast this morning before the surgery."

"I um....I decorated a cookie for you..." Meredith smiled against his lips.

"Decorated a cookie?" Derek laughed.

"I did...with Lexie but I made one for you." She giggled.

"Do I get to eat it?"

"Yeah." Meredith replied. "I can go get it."

"I'll come with you." Derek said, lacing their fingers together.

"Okay." She replied, kissing him quickly as they made their way to the stairs.

"The surgery went really well." He said, as she led him down the steps.

"Really?" Meredith smiled, making the way towards the kitchen.

"Yeah. She's going to be okay if there aren't any complications."

"That's really good." She smiled as she opened a cookie tin and reached for a napkin. "Do you want a leftover piece of pizza too?"

"Please." Derek answered.

"Okay." She kissed him quickly as she slid his cookie over to him and walked over to the refrigerator.

"A heart shaped cookie?" He laughed.

"It was really my only choice."

"You've definitely moved to Lameville."

"That's mean." Meredith giggled as she set the microwave and walked over to him. "So while I was in the shower...."

"Yeah?" Derek laughed, pulling her into his lap.

"I was thinking."

"Thinking about what?"