19.

It was Friday and she had come to dread it even more then she thought she would when she had told Addison she would agree to a date. They had almost had sex in his office, which would have been great if she hadn't panicked after agreeing to the date. She wanted the sex, because after seeing him in scrubs, she was more then turned on but now she felt stupid. Super stupid and now she was freaking out as she waited for him to come pick her up. Somewhere nice, that was all she knew to dress for by what he had said and now she was wearing a simple dress and flats that she had been surprised to find in her closet. So she was ready, but she was still freaking out. There was nothing more she could give him, but one date and having sex would have sent the wrong message.

She heard the doorbell ring, as she walked quickly down the stairs, stopping briefly to make sure she'd done everything semi right. She had to stop freaking out, he was here and there was nothing else she could do to change this. "Um...hi..."

"Hi." Derek breathed as Meredith opened the door, obviously nervous.

"Hey...you can...come in."

"Thanks..." He whispered, walking in and slowly closing the door. "It's....You have a nice house."

"Thanks it's...it was my Mom's and...it's old but...thanks." Meredith breathed, pushing hair behind her ears.

"It's...nice." Derek nodded looking around. "I um...Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah....yeah I am." Meredith reached for her purse off of the entryway table.

"Okay. Then...Let's get going I guess."

"Okay..."

"The restaurant is one of my favorites." Derek said as she locked the door.

"Oh that's....it's good that you like it."

"Yeah...you will too."

"Oh...that's good." She breathed, slightly relieved as he opened the car door for her.

"You um...You look great." Derek said, getting into the drivers seat.

"Thanks." She smiled weakly, running a hand over her dress. "Um...you do to....look great."

"Thanks. I never wear suits." He laughed softly.

"Oh...I don't usually wear dresses unless I have to or to work, which I only wear dresses to work if I all of my other stuff is in the laundry...well sometimes I wear them just because but...I'm rambling." Meredith stopped, "Sorry."

"It's okay." Derek smiled. "The rambling...It's cute."

"Oh." Meredith frowned.

"Did you have a good day at work?" Derek asked, changing the subject as he noticed she was uncomfortable.

"Oh it was...a woman went into labor today in the office which...I don't think that's ever happened to us there."

"That makes things exciting."

"It was definitely interesting."

"She didn't have the baby there did she?"

"No....the ambulance got there." Meredith breathed.

"That's good. I don't think...It's just good." Derek laughed.

"Yeah." She bit her lip.

"Work...the hospital was boring today. I mean...that's good for people but...no surgeries."

"No surgeries." She sighed, looking out the window as they drove down the street.