36.

Meredith had been asleep all day. Ever since he had given her the first dose of Benadryl at about ten, she had been asleep. He had been able to take the socks off of her hands when she first woke up because the medicine had helped the itching go down but the rash was still there so a second dose was the answer. And this time she had fallen asleep in his lap outside on the porch of the trailer. It was completely perfect. It was a beautiful afternoon and both of them agreed that fresh air would be good. But Derek wasn't thinking about the weather. It was the last thing on his mind. Because right before Meredith had fallen asleep she had said I love you. He has happy, ecstatic even. But he didn't want to get too excited. She had been itchy and on a lot of medication and wasn't sure if it had been her or the medicine talking. He had to resist waking her up to ask her if she meant what she said, but he knew that wasn't a good idea considering she almost killed him earlier when he was trying to help her. Just as his leg was falling asleep and he had an excuse to wake her up, he felt her stir in his arms.

"Hmm...." Meredith shifted, feeling the cool Seattle breeze on her skin, turning a little before gently opening her heavy eyes. "Hmm.....I love you."

"I love you too." He whispered, gently brushing her hair out of her face.

"We're outside."

"You don't remember waking up before and going outside?" Derek frowned.

"No." She replied, her voice sounding a little rough from the sleep.

"You were completely out of it." He laughed.

"It's the medicine." She said, turning in his lap.

"That's what I thought." He sighed, misunderstanding what she meant.

"Are you mad about something?"

"No, I'm not mad."

"Okay." She whispered, smiling a little as her fingers moved to scratch her neck.

"No itching." He said, pulling her hand away.

"I can't help it."

"Do I need to give you more Benadryl?" Derek laughed.

"Not yet." She giggled.

"That's probably a good idea. We don't to OD you."

"True, seeing as I'm completely doped up." Meredith replied, her voice still tired as she held onto his hand.

"You are."

"I am...but I meant it."

"Meant what?"

"That I love you."

"You...what?"

"I told you, I love you." Meredith whispered.

"So it wasn't...not the drugs?" Derek breathed.

"No...I mean the drugs may have made me say it but, I do...I love you." She said, her eyes watering a little. "I don't....I didn't believe in love or having someone or anything but I do now and you're...Derek...you're the love of my life."

"Wow." Derek laughed, a tear falling down his face.

"Why are you....tears Der?" Meredith asked, looking up from his lap.

"Good tears." He smiled. "I can't believe...you're the love of my life too."

"You're crying." She replied, tears coming down her own face as she sat up slowly.

"So are you." He laughed through his tears.

"Because I...I'm happy and scared but I have a love of my life and you're him." Meredith giggled. "I just never believed in love and I love someone...that's you."