Mirrored Fate |Chapter Four|

Later that evening Truly puts a blue walking harness on her long-haired orange tabby

Later that evening Truly puts a blue walking harness on her long-haired orange tabby. The poor boy's cooped up in her room, and he needs a nice walk. As she heads out, she grabs a small hand mirror and clips Nutty's leash on him before scooping him up and carrying him through the house. Once outside and in the cooler dusk air, she takes a deep breath in. The light scent of saltwater fills the air. When she steps on the front lawn, she sets her cat down and starts walking the medium-sized diva.

"Since it's dusk, and noh one seems to be around, now is as good of a time as any to try a small love spell, right?" Truly glance down at the cat that's paying her no mind and only prancing along next to her. With a nod, she agrees with herself. "Right." She walks down past Alpha Pi's house and part way down a walking path that leads to the campus lake. Truly finds a nice secluded spot where no one will notice her.

"Now, Nutty, I just need to walk backward ten paces and spin around t'ree times. When I come to a stop, supposedly me future husband will show up in this mirror." She waves the mirror to the cat to emphasize it. "When noh one shows, it'll prove t'at all those tingles I felt when Kade touched me are bogus. Soulmate indeed." She rolls her eyes at the thought.

The feline lazily blinks up at her.

"Yer a helpful little sidekick, ye know t'at?" Tru takes a deep breath in and turns around. "Here goes nothin'." Tru takes ten steps backward as she nervously bites her lip. As stupid and superstitious as it sounds, the little white witch knows this will work. The few charms she's compiled haven't failed her yet. On the tenth step, she lets out a shaky breath. "T'ink I should close me eyes, Nutty?" The cat doesn't answer but Truly nods, anyway. "Yer probably right, I should. Bigger reveal." With that, she closes her eyes and spins around three times. She attempts to keep the leash from tangling around her as she spins by switching the end on the leash in her hands. She trips over a root on the nearby Spanish Moss tree on the third spin, sending her crashing to the ground. Truly drops the leash, trying to catch herself, and sends the terrified Nutty up the tree.

"Feck me!" She curls up in a ball on the ground. The damp grass and mud soak into her clothes. Truly rolls onto her stomach to search for the mirror she dropped. "That's what ye get, ye dumbarse. Trying to cast a spell to disprove t'at ye might have found yer soulmate."

When she grabs hold of it, she gasps, seeing Kade's reflection in it. Her head jerks up to find him towering over her.

"Do I even want to know?" He tilts his head, his wet hair and bare chest glistening in the last rays of the summer sun.

"Why?" Of all the bloody people t'at could have walked by and looked in the fecking mirror, why him? I hurt meself and scared my damn cat for naught. Truly's eyes go wide. "Nutless!" She quickly scrambles to her feet and starts searching the branches. "Goddamn it. Nutless, don't make me climb t'is fecking tree."

A pitiful meow is all she gets in return, causing a very unamused look to fall over her face.

A sigh escapes Kade's lips as he slaps his gray towel against her stomach. "Hold that." His eyes briefly run down her muddied appearance. "Or use it. I'll be back." Moving to the large Spanish Moss tree, he jumps, the thick gold and silver chains around his neck jingling as he grabs the closest branch. His muscles ripple and flex as he hoists himself up and out of view. Once up, Kade eyes the tree's branches around and above him, looking for the little chicken shit. Catching sight of a flash of orange a few branches over, he climbs, only to remember just what kind of tree this is when his flip-flop slides. Slipping, Kade pinwheels his arm before he grabs a branch above to catch himself. "Mother fucker!"