In the Grinds |Chapter Nine|

When Truly and Kade get back to his room, she unties the shirt sleeves and slips them back onto her shoulders to get more comfortable

When Truly and Kade get back to his room, she unties the shirt sleeves and slips them back onto her shoulders to get more comfortable. Now in the privacy of his room, the question she asked before comes to mind as she climbs up on his bed and rests back against the wall.

"So... why did ye agree to hand fast with me if it weren't for Killy?"

Kade inwardly sighs as he moves to the couch and sits. This will probably blow up in my face. "Do you know anything about the Broverns besides the pretty legacy they spin around Drake Brovern?"

"Aye, a little. I know the fables t'at we were taught in school, and some of the not so kind myths associated with ye." Truly tucks her feet up under herself and sips her tea.

As he takes a sip of his coffee, Kade uses the other to flick it towards her in a silent command to go on and explain those.

"T'at ye all can't settle. That ye can't find happiness. T'at ye are all liars, cheats, and scallywags looking ta knock girls up just to get yer bastard children." Her face scrunches up. "Like I said, not kind ones."

"It's true." He grimly admits, having researched the family line and read every passage of the damn bastard's log, only to realize the myths were right. No Brovern has ever found more than fleeting happiness on these shores. "I grew up watching my omma's heart repeatedly break by first my father. Then Draken and Brayden broke it. When I took her to the Adébáyọ̀s, I promised I'd never be like them. I wouldn't abandon her or... or trap a girl with false promises or worse in a loveless marriage like hers." Kade shifts on the couch, placing his cup down on the mini-fridge Gidon keeps at the foot of his bed. This might turn into a violent storm on him, but if it does, he deserves every bit of its thrashing. "It's why I had to honor my word, even in jest. I knew it was a long shot since you knew who I was, but I had hoped you'd balk and walk."

Truly's shoulders droop slightly as her gaze drops to her tea. "I won't fight ye when te promise time is fulfilled, Kade. If ye want to break te bond. No one will hold it against ye either." It'd be encouraged for ye to cut and run.

Kade's expression turns hard. "I'd rather steal the Kraken's heart out of the vault and give it and meself to Davy than break my omma's heart. I meant the vows I made to you, Truly. I intend to be faithful and make you happy." Even if it kills me.

She forces half a smile. "Well, ye have Petals, so tat'll help do te trick."

"I'm serious, Tru." Kade crosses the room and hops up onto his bed, closing the distance between them as he sits right in front of her and leans forward. Sliding a hand across her jawline, his fingers entangle in her hair. "I intend to stay the course and be loyal to you. I'll be the father and husband you need me to be. I'll fight my wanderlust the best I can." The idea of staying on the isles and not sailing the seas and studying them like he's dreamed of doing for years makes his chest tighten.