The Orphan |Chapter Thirteen|

Truly and Kade head over to the beach first with the three most decorated teachers of botany, zoology, and marine biology, as well as the ship's lead medic

Truly and Kade head over to the beach first with the three most decorated teachers of botany, zoology, and marine biology, as well as the ship's lead medic. The normally picturesque lagoon is slewn with broken trees and fronds from various palm trees. The beach, luckily, is barely covered with debris from the mainland and beyond, thanks to the fact the sea cave is the only way into the lagoon.

As they hop out, Mr Hanson, one of the Marine sciences greatest minds, throws his arms out to stop his older Jamaican colleague, who happens to be the head of Zoology and Truly's teacher. "That's a mahn of wah, mate. It can still keell yah."

Professor Slanter gives the man an unamused glare. "Me kno what it is. Don' touch di tigas... dem bite."

"Sohry mate," the Australian-born teacher sheepishly grins, "habit. Oy've had too many students troy and touch the pretty bubbles."

"Yea, me kno me had a few tuh try an lick a few frogs." Slanter rolls his eyes.

"Blimey, let me guess the pretty colored ones, eh?"

"Yea." Slanter shakes his head as he skirts the man of war jellyfish. "De blue an black ones. Dem will get yuh killed. Don' lick di frogs."

"Try having some fool use oleander twigs for firewood." Mrs. Duvall, the head botanist of the island, mutters as she heads further up the shore. "Damn idiot gave us all respiratory issues and nearly killed himself by using a twig as a scure. Would've, if I hadn't figured out what he'd done."

"Right-o...." Professor Hanson points to the man of war. "Oy'm gaowin ta burray this before we descovah the lucky drongo who wants ta touch it."

"Oh," Truly sighs out under her breath so the professors can't hear. "T'is is goin' ta be a disasta."

"Why do ye think I said only a few who weren't in the sciences?" Kade softly replies back.

"I t'ink it might be best ta pair a foreigner wit' a local while we're 'ere." Truly runs her hand over her braid nervously, thinking about how this island can feck a person over seven ways to Sunday.

"They're grouping them each with at least one grad student and hey." Kade grins. "At least they can't get eaten like the ones who went with Raven. No Atlantean tigers."

"It's just loike gaoein home." Professor Hanson grins as he digs a large hole with a shovel one of the sailors provided him. "Everything and their mum is troyin t' keell yah."

"Cum wit' it already." Professor Slanter turns his blue eyes to Kade. "Where yuh tink a gud place is tuh set up de rehabilitation center is?"

"Anywhere further up the beach is fine. The tide doesn't roll up high here. You can even use one of those huts if ye like, but they might be best for lodging. There are a few around the island as well, if you recall. These are the most protected though."