The Unhappy Groom |Chapter Thirty-Five|

The next day Truly sits at her grandmother's breakfast bar, helping prepare lunch by peeling oranges

The next day Truly sits at her grandmother's breakfast bar, helping prepare lunch by peeling oranges. The fresh, clean scent of citrus fills the air.

"So, I take it the change went well?" Rossi glances over at her granddaughter while she throws the fish in the oven.

A shrug of Truly's shoulders causes a frown to cross Rossi's face.

When Truly notices the concerned look on Rossi's face, she lets out a sigh. "He doesn't have any abnormalities, which I was concerned about. But he's not handling the change well. T'e switches are still hard for him. Sometimes he passes out from ta pain."

"It takes gettin' used to. Ye've been doin' it for nineteen years, luv. It'll get betta." Rossi's eyes flick to Coco, who's sitting next to her mom snapping peas. The little monkey's face scrunches up with each snap in her effort to get the peas to break.

"It's not jist t'at." Truly frowns. "I can tell he gets frustrated. We have different tastes, hearin', sight, and smellin'. I can tell it's overwhelmin' for him." When Truly finishes with her oranges, she sets them on the tray and grabs the peas from Coco.

The little monkey squawks and bats at her mom for stealing her task and doesn't settle until Truly moves the bowl in between them so that they both can work. Truly shakes her head at the tiny monkey and returns to snapping open the peas. "I t'ink Kade regrets changin'."

"Probably." Rossi leans against the counter. "But only cause he's not use ta it yet. If ye were suddenly human, I doubt ye'd like it at first, but once ye got used to it ye'd see ta benefits."

"And if he doesn't?" Truly raises a brow to her as she snaps the peas and dumps them into a bowl.

"Ye warned him t'at t'ere was no turnin' back, aye?"

Truly nods. She wouldn't have let him walk into this life without warning him the best she could.

"T'en he can hardly blame ye for it, and he did t'is ta be with ye. T'at desire hasn't changed. If it had, he wouldn't be out with ye granddah right now learnin' how ta swim like a man." Rossi's lip curls up as she quotes her husband.

A grunt escapes Truly's lips, finding her method of teaching just fine, even if her granddah was horrified when he'd first seen Kade swim.

"So." Rossi's brows wiggle. "What's he look like?"

Truly instantly turns red, knowing exactly what her grandmother's implying. "He's gorgeous, Nan." Her voice turns admiring as she thinks about Kade in his siren form. "Ta spikes on his fins are really long, longer t'an ta webbin' between t'em, and the webbin' is t'is brilliant red t'at fades ta yellow." She lets out a little sigh as her gaze turns dreamy. "T'en his caudal is black as pitch, but it has t'is iridescent shine ta it."

Rossi raises a surprised brow, knowing that's rare. So rare, in fact, that it's almost unheard of. "Aye? Like yers?"

Truly nods. "Aye, but lovelier. It's dark, more rainbow colored, not ta borin' pastel rainbow mine is."