Expensive Mistakes

*James' P.O.V.*

Five down. Fifteen more to go.

It sounds easy, that number is low. I've killed more than that in a span of one night, but this is different. Odds are not in our favor and we are the prey. We have to end this before it gets completely out of our hands.

"The boxes are too scattered and yours is five floors below us. How are we approaching this?" Y/N asked as we walk out of the wrecked room, leaving five dead bodies behind.

"We split up. You go down and gather all you can gather. I'll take the upper floors," I commanded and she stared at me.

"Really? Split up?" she said with a scoff.

"We have to cover more grounds. We will be at a great disadvantage if we don't get anything." We continued to walk towards the stairs that splits to go up or down.

"Well, we will be at a GREATER disadvantage if they gang up on us when we're separated," she said. Y/N has a point, but I'd say this is worth the risk, "This is how stupid people die, James!"

"We're not stupid, love. So, just don't die," I advised before taking the stairs to go up, "Let's meet back here after thirty minutes."

I know she wanted to argue, but I think she already realized it will be futile. Y/N descended downstairs while I continued my way up. I wanted her to focus on the box that's supposed to be mine, surely no one would be interested in that as I'm sure there will be nothing in it.

My plan is to also drive their attention back to me while Y/N gather everything we can use. I am still their target after all and Y/N is just a stray kitten in all of this...but maybe, except for one person, but I have confidence that Y/N can handle him now.

I continued my way up until I reached the upper floor where I started to go straight to the rooms where the boxes are located. So far, I am seeing no one around, but can definitely feel I'm being watched. I managed to find and get 3 boxes which contained booster drugs, pain killers, and a knife. It's tame, but enough for now.

The moment I spotted a fourth box inside a particular room, I can immediately tell it's a bait. It's funny how they think I'll fall for it,

After contemplating on it for a bit, I still decided to take a bite though. Its better to take them down now.

Without a care in the world, I walked inside the room, only to be greeted and trapped by five people. Obviously, I recognized all of them and somehow, I became more confident when I realized who they were...I have a big advantage here.

"Lovely night we're having, don't you agree?" I greeted them with a smile, "Let me guess, that box is containing tea and we are about to have a delightful tea party," I added playfully, but none of them were in the same mood.

They didn't even say anything, some charged at me immediately, but I was prepared. I blocked their attacks and made cuts on their arm with the knife I got. The moment they realized I'm armed already, they now hesitated to move.

"Well, I guess not," I said, disappointed, "Tea sounded very nice, honestly...but I think blood is all I well get now." I licked off the blood from my knife in front of them.

I stared at them, gesturing to come at me. Some still did, but the results are the same. Now that I have something that can instantly kill, they're having second thoughts.

"What's happening here?" I asked when they fell back, "We've done this a hundred times, darlings, and all those time there will be only one winner - the one that will kill the graduand. Whoever does that gets ALL the prizes on the table, but why are you all creating factions now? The rules still apply, only ONE will get it all." I started to question their actions and was anticipating a stupid answer, but surprisingly, no one stepped in.