Nice To Meet You

*James' P.O.V.*

If only I'm not that desperate to leave this country, I wouldn't have boarded this dilapidated cargo ship.

My business trip in Japan had gone horribly wrong so I decided to leave as soon as possible before I can commit mass genocide in the city.

The person I was supposed to have a deal with backed away from his words and we all know I don't like it when that happens. This was supposed to be a huge project which he slightly disrupted and now, he and his team are drowning in their own blood. I was in the mood for more and could have flooded the city in red, but it's too early for that. Besides, I didn't want to draw attention to myself. It could attract moths who are eager for fire.

This cargo ship was the best thing Ava can provide me at the moment. It did add to my annoyance, but I had no choice so I took it. Three Japanese men welcomed me aboard, they seemed acquainted with who I am which is a good thing because it means they won't do anything stupid that could tick me off more.

They gave me the best room they have on the ship and describing it as that would make me the most generous person in the world. It's the most basic cabin you will ever see - a small space, a small bed, and a coffee table, and all looks and smells old

It's been a while since I've been in a situation like this so, this is throwing me off.

I tried my best to ignore my disgusting surrounding and try to get back to work on my laptop, but not even five minutes later, the phone sitting on top of the coffee table rang.

I know I made sure to tell them in plain Japanese to not bother me unless this ship is sinking. Whatever this call is, it should be important because I'm more than ready to use my knife.

The phone continued to ring and I finally answered it when the sound had irritated me enough. Honestly, I could have just thrown it against the wall, but something inclined me to answer it. I was about to speak but the person on the other line spoke first. I expected it to be one of those men and to be in Japanese, but I got something unexpected.

"Is this Thomas Ripley?" a kid spoke on the other line. I often get a distaste sensation every time I come across a child, but for some reason, this one piqued my best curiosity. The fact that he knows me and asked the way he did was something else.

"Looks like one of the rats got out of the cage," I answered. Ava mentioned this ship was transporting children to be sold and apparently, one had gone out of the cage and knows who I am for some reason.

"Well, that would happen especially if the cage is ineffective," he answered quickly which grab hold of my attention more, "I know you are not a part of this scheme. You were actually an inconvenience to them. You're someone who's probably hitchhiking, am I right?" he asked and again, I'm not expecting any of this from a mere child. He speaks so confidently.

"I see, we have a little detective on board," I said playfully.

"Also, the fact that even though they were hurrying to get us out of the country and knowing the fact that authorities could be on our tail now, they still decided to wait for you which tells me you're someone reputable and powerful. If that's really true, they're about to do something terribly stupid, Mr. Ripley." If only his voice didn't sound like this, I won't be able to pinpoint that I'm talking to a child, "Unfortunately for them, they are planning to kill you to get the money placed on your head," he said which immediately made me laugh. What he last said temporarily shifted my attention away from being fascinated with him.

"Kill me? What a joke," I said after I laughed. I have to be honest, that was funny.

"Stupid, ain't it? I just wanted to warn you about this and maybe get a deal out of it," he continued, and now I'm hearing some kind of reluctance in his voice. I did let him continue though, this would be interesting.