CHAPTER FORTY ONE

9:34 pm.

Ridwan stared at the sky. His eyes glued to the stars as they twinkle. He heaved a long exasperated sigh and shoved his hands in his pocket. He didn't even know when he developed interest in watching the view of the night sky, but it became a habit when he isn't able to sleep.

Haidar visited him this morning and told him everything about him suspecting that Maryam was the mastermind behind raheenah's tragic fall, she was the one who spilled the oil on the stairs, that too intentionally just for raheenah to fall.

The whole thing is taking a turn on him. He don't know who to trust.

Haidar or Maryam.

Even if it isn't true which he really hopes it isn't. Then why would Haidar accuse her of such a thing. They barely know each other to have any grudges against each other that Haidar want to avenge or something.

And Haidar is not like that.

But Maryam. He have no idea what to do. He clearly remembered when he went upstairs to get his car keys, he too almost slipped because of the oil. He didn't tell this to Haidar because it will only add to his suspicion.

"Ya ridwan"ruhainah called out to him. He wiped off the tears, he had no idea was streaming down his cheeks amd turned to her with a smile.

"Mom and I brought you dinner"she knows that ridwan won't eat anything because he always does that the only person that will be able to convince him to eat is his mother and she is not here at the moment.

"Ruhainah,you shouldn't have bothered, I'm not hungry"ridwan uttered. His voice was low. You could feel how broken he is inside through his voice.

"You didn't eat anything since morning, please eat something"she pleaded with him but he just shut his eyes and sighed.

"Okay,go on I will join you"ruhainah nodded and left.

Ridwan stayed there for like 5 more minutes before leaving the place. The place is always giving him a peace of mind. He can't wait for the four weeks to end, but time is moving too slow for that to happen. From the whole four weeks only four days is gone and it felt like years, years of torture.

"Good evening, ummi"ridwan greeted immediately he entered the room. She smiled at him and patted him on the shoulder.

"How are you doing ridwan?"she asked and his reply was a simple okay. "We brought dinner for you, I know that you didn't eat anything so I made something light, pasta"she smiled serving him already, she knew that he will argue with her and say that he isn't hungry but she knows exactly how to take care of him.

"Seriously ummi, you shouldn't have,I'm not hungry. I don't feel like eating anything"he shook his head, his voice breaking.

"Here,have this"she handed him the plate. He stared at the plate and shook his head slowly closing his eyes. "I don't want any excuses, take"he knew better than to argue with ummi, so he collect the plate and dived right in.

He finished the food almost immediately. He was indeed very hungry and the fact that the food is so delicious, he couldn't resist. It tasted just the way raheenah prepares it, well she is her daughter after all. They both have magic hands.

"Should I add more for you?"she questioned amused at how he ate all the food after saying he isn't hungry and doesn't feel like eating anything.

He nodded shyly and passed her the plate to add more.

Ruhainah came in and took a sit beside her mother. "Where were you?"her mother questioned.

"I was on the phone with laiba, she is coming tomorrow with Aryan"she lied, she was actually on the phone with Aryan, she didn't want ridwan to know about it, at least not yet.

"Hmmm"her mother grunted with a smirk. Ruhainah shook her head and chuckled.

"I completely forgot about Aryan and didn't phone him, I don't even know where my phone is"ridwan kept the plate aside, he stood up and sat down on raheenah's bed.

"Ridwan"ummi called placing her left hand on his shoulder and sat down beside him. She took in deep breath and smiled weakly at him.

"My daughter is going to wake up, she won't leave me so soon"she stated bursting into tears. He placed his head on her shoulder and sniffed back the tears that were threatening to fall.

"She will ummi, In sha Allah. If Allah wills"and they stayed like that before retiring to bed.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"May Allah grant her shifa"a woman probably in her mid forties, prayed a tear slipping down her cheeks. "I will get going now, laiba, Aryan let's go"

Laiba and Aryan exchanged looks with each other, they both know what they exactly want. "Mama, I want to spend a few days here,please"she pleaded, they knew that their mother won't let them stay if they were at home but with ummi here she will surely find a way to convince her. They already packed their clothes without her knowing. Aryan never enjoys staying in Abuja but when he start courting Ruhainah, he is always in Abuja.

"You know that's not possible, we are going back to kano today don't argue with me"laiba looked at Aryan and shook her head.

"Hajja Fati let her stay"ummi chimed in and hajja fati sighed.

"Okay, but only for one week"laiba squealed and hugged her mother tightly and whispered to her ears;

"I love you"

"I know"her mother rolled her eyes and broke out of the hug. "I will send your clothes for you"

"Mama I already packed"she bit her lower lip and her mother smacked her, luckily she was able to dodge.

"You planned it kenan" she questioned and laiba shook her head stifling a laugh.

"Aryan let's go, you are driving me remember"Aryan mentally face palmed himself. He regrets offering to drive them from kano to Abuja, he was even eager to dismiss the driver.

"Okay"he knew better than to argue with his mother right now. Firstly, because she don't know how to drive and it is a very long journey. Secondly, because it's all his fault, he send the driver back home saying he will be the one to drive.

"Ruhainah"laiba beamed circling Ruhainah with her arms. "I missed you so much, sister in-law" she whispered the last part and Ruhainah giggled shaking her head. She kept the basket aside and greeted her mother and ridwan.

She went back home yesterday night and brought them breakfast today. She didn't expect to see laiba this early and she even met Aryan on her way in, they just spoke for like 5 minutes before going separate ways.

"You are not even shy, matar yaya. Brother's wife"laiba teased. This time she didn't whispered the last part she said it out loud and ridwan heard it very well.

"Shush"she shushed and attacked laiba with her elbow, to which she yelped. "good for you"

Vote
Comment
Follow
And
Share

Ria♥