CHAPTER FIFTY NINE

"Ruhainah, you still aren't ready yet ?"her mother questioned, shaking her head. She entered the room and saw so many clothes spread on the bed and ruhainah was only in her towel.

"Mom, I can't decide which one to choose"

"You're not getting ready for your wedding dear. Wear your normal clothes and get going before I chase you out myself"her mother warned, pointing her index finger directly at ruhainah.

So, today is Ruhainah's sa rana which means engagement in English.

In the Hausa tradition, on the day of the engagement, the groom send his parents or guardian as well as elderly relatives to formally ask for her hand in marriage.

On their trip to the bride's family home to seek her parent's consent, the groom's family take along such as kolanuts, sweets etc.

It is also during the visit that the groom's parent will make their intention known. Gaisuwa is a kind of formal approval from the bride's family to the grooms. This is where the bargain for the bride's dowry begins.

The payment of the dowry is also done which is called the sadaki. Also, the wedding date is fixed during the visit, both the families. The process of setting the date is called sarana.

Her mother picked up a green Ankara and throw it her way. Luckily, she was able to catch it. "I'll wear this one then"

"I wonder how you're going to be dressing in your husband's house when you're so indecisive"she pushed her lips forward and bashed her lashes at her mother.

"Mom, I have you remember. I can call you anytime to help me out with my outfit"

"So, you're going to disturb me everyday ?"her mother questioned, starting for the door.

"No, but mom I'm your precious daughter fah"she said with a pout.

"Get ready quickly, your friends might be on their way and you're not even ready yet"

"Mom, why do I have a feeling that you can't wait to see me leave you?"she asked, teasingly.

"If it's up to me then, I'll never let you go. It wasn't easy seeing raheenah leave the house, the house is never the same without her. I miss her daily foot massage"her mother confessed, smiling weakly at her daughter.

If ruhainah leave for her husband's house then she will be left alone with usman. And he doesn't even stay at home all the time he is always in school.

"Mom"she dragged, staring at her mother. "I'm not leaving forever, neither did ya heenah. Even though she is a little far away from you, I know that you're always in her heart. You're our mother, we love you the most in this world. You're our world mom, we'll stay like that"

"I know ruhainah, I miss her so much"

"I miss her too, mom"she stated and hugged her mother, tightly.

"Now, get ready quickly. Amma will be here soon"

Ruhainah guffawed and said. "Mom, it's not Amma but Amna, you never get it right"