CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

She felt a hand tapping her and yelling something. She squeezed her eyes and groaned pulling the duvet over her head but it didn't last long,she duvet was yanked off.

"Maryama wake up"her mother yelled hitting her with a pillow. She abruptly get off the bed murmuring something under her breath. "Lazy human soul,get up right now"

"Maa I'm up"she rubbed her eyes and checked the time it was 7:15. Why is her mother waking her up so early in the morning that too on Saturday. "what's happening ? why did you wake me up so early in the morning?"she questioned her voice sounding sleepy.

"Shower and wear something then come downstairs and help me out in the kitchen"her mother ordered,confused she managed to nod her head as response. She stayed on the bed wondering why her mother told her to wear something nice.

Are we going somewhere ? She shoed the thought away and entered the bathroom to do her business. Stepping out of the bathroom,she rubbed lotion all over her body and sprayed perfume,her favourite Arabian perfume Malak and went straight to her closet to wear;something nice.

She wore a sky blue Ankara Skirt And blouse with peplum hands,she tied the scarf into a v-shaped turban and picked up a white veil,she isn't planning on wearing it since she is at home but if they happen to be going somewhere then she will put it on. To complete the look,she applied some eyeliner and a red lipstick. She took few selfies with her phone before dashing out of the room to go help her mother out in the kitchen.

"Maa so much food,are we having guest?"her mother flashed her a smile and nodded. "Who?"she asked curiously.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out"she was now completely confused,seeing the way her mother is so happy she felt weird about it.

Not wanting to ask any more questions she kept mute and stood beside her mother who was chopping onions.

"You are going to help out,don't just stand there doing nothing"

"Okay Maa but what do you want me to do?"

"Here,finish chopping this and pour it into the pot when you are done"her mother replied and she nodded collecting the knife from her mother. She finished chopping the onions,so she poured it into the pot which contains The fried rice her mother is preparing. Looking at the food you will know it is for like 5 to 6 people. She was more perplexed than before.

"You are done?"

"Yes Maa I'm done"

"Okay you can go,I will also go and get ready. They will arrive very soon"she clasped her hands together and squealed. Curiosity furrows her brows as she stares at her mother who was squealing and smiling like a three year old who was given chocolate.

"Okay"she stated and left the kitchen. She unplugged her phone form charging and sat down on the couch. She had her AirPods places in her ears as she listened to bloody Samaritan by Ayra Starr and at the same time surfing through her Instagram account. She isn't a social media person but she managed to have 210 followers on Instagram and 45 followers on Twitter.

Busy with what she was doing she didn't here the doorbell ringing,her mother came downstairs immediately removed the AirPods from her ear and said. "What are you doing ?"

Maryam shrugged and kept her phone aside. The doorbell rang again,her mother looked at her once before leaving to open the door.

Her mother opened the door and welcomed them in,they were five in number two women who are probably in their mid forties,a Lady who is maryam's height but definitely not her age and then the last one, a tall handsome guy, he is not just a simple tall and handsome young man, he have a full treamed and well shaped beard that maryam couldn't take her eyes off.

Her mother glared at her and she understood what she meant so she greeted them with a fake smile. She was about to leave when her mother called out her name. She heaved a sigh and turned to her mother with a smile.

"Come here and sit"maryam did as she was told. "Meet my daughter Maryam and also your soon to be daughter in-law"

Maryam's fake smile faded immediately her mother said those words. She was confused and at the same shocked. If her mother was planning her wedding all this while then she got her real hard.

"She is very beautiful, I like her what about you Umar?"the lady questioned looking at her son who was busy on the phone.

Hearing his name umar shoved the phone into his pocket and looked at his mother. "Yeah"he replied nonchalantly. He didn't even look at her, seeing that his mother, his father and aunt are hell bent on getting him married he has no other choice.

Maryam's eyes went wide like saucers and her mouth hung opened. She was still trying to process all that's happening but it seems so hard to do it as everything is real.

"That's good Adda we should tell Abba the good news"the other lady chimed in revealing her silver tooth. Umar's mother nodded with a smile and said;

"Yes we should. Hajja Halima my son likes your daughter,I hope she doesn't have a problem with getting married to him?"

Maryam's mother smiled and looked at maryam then back to Hajiya Hannatu. "She don't have a problem with getting married to your son, I assure you that"

Her eyes was filled with tears. Her mother was indeed fixing her marriage with the guy she doesn't even know. How could she do that to her.

"Right maryam?"her mother asked looking at her. She stood up from the place and ran off to her room.

"Is everything okay with her?"hajiya hannatu questioned worriedly.

"Yes, I will be right back"she excused herself and went straight to Maryam's room.

She found maryam laying on the bed with her stomach probably crying. She dragged her by her arms and pulled her up. "What's wrong with you ? Why did you do that ? Wallah maryam don't disgrace me"

"Maa I'm sorry but I don't want to get married to that umar of a guy, please don't make me"she pleaded amidst tears. Her cheeks and nose were already red.

"You have to get married to him maryam, you are 25 years old and you are still not married doesn't it bother you? It bothers me a lot you know. You didn't seem to have anyone in mind so I found a good match for you"

"It doesn't bother me maa, but please hear me out. I don't want to get married to him please"she wiped off the tears but it didn't change anything, the tears kept on gliding down her cheeks, uncontrollably.

"Why is that? Why do you not want to marry him ? Tell me"her mother asked shaking the hell out of her.

She yanked her body off her mother's grip and shouted angrily. "I love someone else"

"What?"her mother's voice was low, she was shocked to the core. She never knew that her daughter was in a relationship or even had one.

"Yes maa, I don't want to get married to anyone if not him"she added bursting into another set off tears.

"Who is that tell me"maryam shook her head not wanting to tell her mother who she is in love with. "Tell me right now or else you won't like it, I'm not joking"

Maryam swallowed a lump of her own saliva and said. "Ya ridwan"

Wayyo ! Who else saw that coming ?

I can't help but feel a little bit bad for ! Maryam...

Well....she is paying for her deed, right? !

How do you think her mother is going to react after hearing ridwan's name ?

Hehehe....I feel bad for maryam o I sense a big storm coming her way o !

Imma stop right here !

Adiós !!

Vote
Comment
Follow
And
Share

Ria♥