Simple

Elle

I sat on the sofa in the shared living area of Lee's dorm, flicking through a magazine, biding my time.

Lee barreled in through the door, slinging his backpack down, looking utterly wrecked.

"Hey, Lee." I said, deadpan.

"Hey, Elle," he mumbled. He came awake then, realization dawning that it was in fact not normal for me to just be sitting in his dorm. "ELLE?!!! What are you doing here?!"

"Lee, we've never had a birthday apart, did you really think I was going to let this year be the first?" I giggled.

Lee jumped on the sofa, swallowing me in a hug, squashing me.
"Elle, you have no idea how glad I am to see you. This exam week has been hell."

"I missed you too freak, now get off me, I can't breathe. Geez, have you been hitting the gym? You're so heavy."

Lee just grinned and flopped over to sit next to me. "How did you arrange this, exactly?"

I grinned at him smugly. "I have my ways.... but really Ashton helped me set this up."

"Well, I'm not sure if I approve of this unholy alliance you two have going, but if this is the result....wait, does that mean that Ashton's not driving back home with me?"

"Nope. He's flying back with Mila. You're stuck with me. And boy do I have plans for us."

"Ooh, best birthday surprise ever. Tell me, tell me."

"Nope. You gotta wait 'til tomorrow."

"Ugh, fine." Lee put his arm around my shoulders then and rested his head on mine. "I missed you."

"I missed you too. But Lee? You stink. Go shower already."

Lee seemed revived once he showered and after venturing out for pizza, we were back on the sofa, playing Mario Kart with his roommates, Evan and Jamie. I've met them a few times now and they're pretty cool. At least they don't complain when I thrash them for the third time.

"Hey, Elle, Lee told us about the race day you did last summer, that sounded awesome," Evan said.

"Yeah dude it was. You should have seen Lee's face when I started throwing my leftover cream bombs at him, and his Princess Peach outfit was priceless!" I choose to remember that day only up to a certain point and not let what happened afterwards ruin the memory.

"Hey, I am very secure in my masculinity, thank you very much." Lee protested.

"Lee, you have literally never missed a chance to cross-dress in your life. Remember when you went as the black swan for Halloween?" I laughed.

"What?" Jamie jumped in "Lee, you never told us this."

"Yeah, there's lots of stuff I don't tell you jackasses," Lee replied, grinning.

"Come on, Elle, we need more embarrassing Lee stories," Evan pleaded.

"Don't you dare, Elle. Rule number 2, missy."

Rule no. 2 Never share our secrets with anyone else.

"Sorry guys, I can't argue with that, my lips are sealed," I said, making a zipping motion with my fingers.

That got boos from Evan and Jamie and they demanded that Lee go get more drinks and snacks as payback.

I spend the night in Lee's room on the trundle bed, which is possibly the best purchase he has ever made, and even his snoring can't keep the smile off my face.

"Alright! Let's get this birthday celebration on the road!" I enthused, throwing my bag in the backseat of Lee's mustang.

"Are you really still not going to tell me where we're going?" Lee whined.