Reality

Elle

Life settles into a new rhythm and sometimes I can't believe it just wasn't always like this. The odd time I get a flash of panic or anxiety, I try to follow Nathan's instructions. Recognize it for what it is and why I feel that way, and then let it go rather than letting it overwhelm me. It's not always that simple of course, but I'm working on it.

I keep up my regular lunch dates with Lee, which lately have turned into a chance for him to vent about "stupid wedding stuff" and I remind him gently that this was all his idea in the first place.

He laughs, "Yeah, the marriage part. Not the wedding part. Guess I didn't think that through."

"Guess not. Still, at the end of it all, you do get Rachel forever, so it can't be all bad, right?" I joke.

Lee pretends to seriously consider my question. "That is true. I suppose it's worth it."

I shake my head at him and grin. "Don't ever, ever let her hear you say that. You will be a dead man."

"Duh, of course not," he grins back at me. "Plus, after the wedding, comes the honeymoon, and I know that will be worth it."

"Eww Lee, we've discussed this," I say, drawing an imaginary line across the table between us. "Boundaries."

He just winks at me and laughs. I throw a fry at him in disgust.

Noah and I are both working crazy hours at the moment and sometimes we barely see each other during the week. It got so bad at one point that we had a FaceTime dinner date while we both ate takeout at our desks in our own offices. While that was a cute novelty, we decided that it's definitely not something we want becoming a habit. So Wednesdays have kind of become date night.

I picked Wednesday because that way it's only two days since we've seen each other on Sunday (or more accurately Monday morning since we usually stay together over the weekend) and only two days before we see each other again Friday night. It feels a little weird scheduling time to see each other, but I guess that's just part of both being adults trying to build careers.

So tonight is date night and it's my choice. I made this reservation a few weeks ago, based on the fact that Noah's office is downtown and so is this place I wanted to try. It's a rooftop bar and restaurant called Perch, and it looks pretty cool from what I've seen online. Noah is going to meet me there, but I've managed to arrive a bit early thanks to easier traffic than I was expecting.

I step out of the elevator into a very swanky bar area and the host shows me to our table outside. The view is gorgeous and I just know that Noah will love it. A server swings past and takes my drink order which appears quickly and then I'm left to sit and admire the lights below.

"Elle, is that you?" A voice I definitely was not expecting interrupts my thoughts.

I turn on my stool, and it's him. Alex.

"Alex, oh my gosh, what are you doing here?"

"Just in town for the trade show, you know?"

"Of course, how are you?" I get down from my stool and step forward to kiss him on the cheek. The scent of his cologne takes me back in time for a second.

"Really good. How about you?" His hand is lingering on my elbow and I take a step back to break the contact, picking up my glass.

I smile, "Yeah, I'm good. Work is great, you know? We've got some cool stuff in the works this year."

"Yeah, I heard. Elle Evans, kicking ass," he grins at me.

"Well I don't know about that," I say, rolling my eyes.