Melted

Author's note: this chapter is PG-13 but touches very lightly on the issue of sexual consent. If you think this might be triggering for you, please feel free to skip this one. If you do read, please feel free to share any comments you may have.

Noah

I woke to the sound of a message pinging on my phone. I had fallen asleep on the sofa while attempting to study for my international relations exam. I smirked when I saw who the message was from. Liz and I had hung out a few times since the weekend of Rachel's visit, but only in groups with our friends. We'd flirted a little and the text messaging had become regular this week. The question in this message though, piqued my interest.

Liz: R u afraid of the dark?

I figured it was best to send a brief response and see where this was leading.

Me: No

The next message came through quickly.

Liz: R u afraid of heights?

I shot back.

Me: No

Seconds later, the next question popped up on my screen.

Liz: R u afraid of me?

Hmm, this was a more complex question, but I thought I'd keep it light.

Me: No, but maybe I should be

She didn't bite at that response.

Liz: Meet me out the front of Dunster House in 30min

Me: Ok

I stretched, still lying on the sofa, and spent a few minutes contemplating what Liz could have in store for me. Somewhere dark and high up, with her. Sounded like my kind of thing.

I put on dark jeans and a black sweater and my usual Cons, then headed over to the residential building Liz had named. When I spotted her and looked at what she was wearing, I laughed.

"What are you laughing at, Noah Flynn?"

I gestured between the two of us. "We look like really bad cat burglars."

Liz looked at me then down at her all black ensemble and laughed too. "Yeah, we don't look suspicious at all."

"So, what's the plan?"

"Come on," she said, grabbing my hand and leading me down alongside the building towards the river. We came to the back corner and there, half obscured by shrubs was a metal door. The handle had been broken off so it couldn't be locked. Now I really was intrigued.

"We aren't actually robbing the place are we?"

Liz chuckled, "Don't worry, Noah, I won't lead you astray - much. Stay close."

She opened the door and turned her phone's flashlight on. Inside was a staircase, winding upwards into the darkness above. We went up and up and up until we reached a door at the top of the stairs. Liz opened this one and pulled me through, handing me her phone while she turned back to wedge a large rock against the doorframe to stop it closing.

I stopped and took in the surroundings. We were up on top of the building near the clock tower. A narrow walkway ran all the way across the back of the building. Most of it was lit up from below with spotlights, but it was pretty much dark where we were, only faintly illuminated by moonlight. The view across the Charles was amazing, lots of glittering lights spread out in the distance. It wasn't the same as the Hollywood sign, but it still had that same feeling of remoteness.