Begin

Elle

Getting ready for drinks with Alex sends me right back to how I felt getting ready for my first ever date. The one with Tuppen that never happened. I've never actually been out on a date like this before, with someone I don't already know, who I have no history with. Plus this feels like my first proper adult date and I'm so nervous.

I ask Steph's opinion on my outfit for probably the fourth time. She rolls her eyes at me.
"Elle, stop it, you look great. You're going to be fine. Just order your Uber already, or else you'll be late."

I look at my phone and realise she's right. Shit. Something else to worry about. But luckily I don't have to wait long for a car and before I'm ready to face Alex, I've arrived in front of the bar where he asked me to meet him. It's a cool looking little place, tucked away just off the strip. I'm getting out of the car when a message comes through on my phone.

Alex: I'm at a table out back, see you soon.

I smile. At least I haven't been stood up this time. I make my way through the bar, towards the garden area at the back. I stop in the doorway, taking in the sight. A giant tree stands in the centre of the courtyard, festooned with fairy lights. Small bar tables are set up in a circle, surrounding the tree. There, to one side, is Alex. He doesn't see me right away, he's toying with his drink. I take a moment to check him out.

He's dressed in dark jeans, with a black dress shirt, sleeves rolled up just below his elbows. He's tanned and his dark hair is just a little long to be neat, but in a tousled, sexy way. He must have felt me staring, because he looks up, smiling as his brown eyes meet mine. I give him a small wave and head over to the table.

"Hi," I grin. "Nice choice," I gesture around at the surroundings.

"Glad you approve," he grins back. "You look great," he says, and I feel his eyes flicker over me.

I resolve to give Steph a high five when I get home for making me wear this dress.

"Well thank you. You don't look so bad yourself." That's an understatement, he looks hot, but I try to play it a little cool.

"What can I get you to drink? Apparently the margaritas are good here."

"Sounds perfect." I could do with something strong to calm my nerves.

Alex gestures to the waiter and before long, a very large and icy drink is placed in front of me. I take a sip and smile appreciatively, it's delicious.

Alex grins, "Good?" I nod. "I might have to join you next round."

We start chatting and next thing Alex is ordering more drinks and some snacks. We keep talking and I'm surprised how easily our conversation flows. Maybe it's the cocktails, but also he's just so funny and interesting. We talk about our work, of course, but it's not all one sided. He asks me a lot of questions about the kind of games I want to develop and seems genuinely interested in my answers. We talk about college, and my exchange and even a bit about our families.

Before I know it, I've nearly finished my fourth drink and am getting a little buzzed. Alex reached across the table to grab my hand, and I feel a little spark of electricity where his skin touches mine.
"Hey, I really don't want to go, but if I have another one of these my head won't thank me tomorrow. Can I drop you home?"

I smile and nod. "Yeah, that would be great."

He orders a car and as we start to walk through the bar, he places a hand lightly on the small of my back. I find I enjoy that small gesture very much. Part of me wants to invite him up when we get back to my apartment, but I decide that's just the drinks talking. He gets out of the car when we arrive, telling the driver to wait a minute.