Mostly

Noah

The last couple of months before Lee and Rachel's wedding have been crazy, but fun. It's definitely been a different experience with Elle effectively being Lee's best man. It did mean that she and I got to hang out with Lee together far more than if she'd been one of Rachel's attendants. It was kind of fun to have Elle with us at the suit fittings. Her dress was selected and approved by Rachel long ago, apparently, so she just got to sit back on the plush sofa at the store while we went through our final adjustments. It was only mildly disturbing that the tailor provided her with a glass of whisky to enjoy with the show we were apparently putting on for her entertainment.

Elle insisted on being there for the bachelor party and I wasn't about to be the one to tell her otherwise. Honestly, it was hard to imagine how Lee could have that celebration without his best friend there anyway, and I'm pretty sure she was more comfortable with all the guys than she would've been at the bachelorette, given that Liz was there. I mean, Elle was way more accepting of that whole situation than I had feared, but it's not like she needed to have it waved in front of her face any more than was absolutely necessary for the wedding.

I'm not sure I'll ever get the mental image of Elle tucking dollar bills into a stripper's underwear out of my head, though.

The next thing I know, I'm driving relatives from the airport to hotels and running last minute errands before the big day. The night before the wedding Lee stays with Elle and I at my place, and we eat takeout and watch movies, doing our best to keep Lee's nerves at bay. A couple of shots of tequila seem to do the trick, and has him laughing rather than nervously wondering if he's going to forget something or stuff up his vows. At ten o'clock Elle declares that he needs to go call Rachel to say goodnight, before she confiscates his phone. Surprisingly, he does as he's told, heading into the spare room and closing the door. About ten minutes later he comes back out to the living room, a dopey grin on his face.

Elle smiles at him, "Aww, how cute." Her face turns all-business. "Now hand it over, pal."

"But why?" Lee complains.

"Because I know you Lee Flynn and you won't be able to help yourself. You'll just be texting Rachel all night. And I am under strict instructions from your bride to be to make sure you are well rested tomorrow and that you leave her in peace."

Lee looks at me for help.

"Don't look at me, bro. There is absolutely no way I'm going to contradict my girlfriend and your fiancée. Do you think I have a death wish?"

Lee gives me a withering look. "Worst groomsman ever."

"Phone, Lee." Elle holds out her hand.

"Fine," he grumbles, handing it over.

"Right, now get your ass to bed," she tells him.

"So bossy," Lee says to Elle, then turns to me. "God help you, brother."

I chuckle, and Elle elbows me in the ribs.

"Night Lee."

"Night guys." Lee waves over his shoulder before closing the bedroom door.

I turn to Elle, "Okay little miss bossy, we should get some sleep too, or we'll be the ones in trouble with the bride tomorrow."

"Yeah, no, agreed."

I carry the glasses into the kitchen to stack them in the dishwasher while Elle heads to the bathroom. When I get into the bedroom, she's getting changed into her pyjamas and I can't resist grabbing her and tickling her ribs, making her giggle.

The next thing I hear is Lee's voice booming from the room next door. "Don't even think about it you two! These walls are very thin!"

Elle and I both collapse in a fit of laughter.