Glimpses

Author's Note: This is a bit of a collection of small scenes about all the pre-wedding stuff that I had in my head, that didn't directly connect to each other or necessarily warrant a whole chapter to themselves.....hope you enjoy.

Lee

A huge smile appears on Mom's face as Noah announces his and Elle's engagement over lunch. She shrieks, jumps up from the table and hugs and kisses both of them of course, followed by Dad and Mike with congratulations all round. This is just what I expected, right down to the tears rolling down Mom's cheeks. I really didn't expect what happens next, though.

"Pay up," Mom says, turning to Dad.

I think Elle, Noah, Rachel and I all have the same stunned expression.

Dad just chuckles and reaches for his wallet, pulling out a hundred dollar bill and handing it to Mom.

I say the first thing that comes to mind, "What the?!"

Mom laughs but looks at Noah when she says, "Honey, when you and Elle got back together, your father and I made a friendly wager."

"Oh really?" Noah raises his eyebrows.

"I bet him that you would be engaged within a year. He thought you would be too stubborn for it to be that quick."

I can't help it, I crack up laughing.

"To be fair," Dad smiles, "I said it would definitely be within two years."

Everyone is laughing now, at least everyone but Noah, who's busy muttering something about being a foregone conclusion.

——————————————————————

Noah

Elle and I are lying in bed one Saturday morning, about a month after getting engaged. She starts to fidget, and I know she's got something on her mind.

"Out with it, Elle."

She lifts her head from where it's resting on my chest and looks at me.

"What do you mean?"

Instead of responding, I just raise an eyebrow at her and wait.

"Okay fine," she huffs. "I was just thinking, as much as I'm enjoying being engaged..."

I smile at her, "You were wondering about when we might get married?"

"Well, yeah. Did you have any, you know, thoughts about that?"

"Are you asking me when I want to marry you, Shelly?"

"Well, yeah."

"Tomorrow would be good."

Elle's eyebrows shoot up. "Tomorrow?!" she chokes.

I chuckle and she smacks me playfully on the chest.

"Okay, okay. What I mean is, I'd like to marry you as soon as possible, Elle. But while my understanding of wedding planning is admittedly very limited, I am led to believe that these things take some time to organise."

Elle considers this for a moment. "Well yeah, the only weddings I've been involved in were Dad and Linda's and Lee and Rachel's. They were both very different, though. Dad's was simpler, because we had it at their house."