Infinity

Elle

"Oh my god, Lee!! Hurry up!"

"Geez Shelly, calm down. You're the one who picked the dress with five million buttons."

Lee, who had been doing up said buttons far slower than I would like, suddenly stops and leans over my shoulder, grinning evilly.

"Maybe I should just staple you into it. That would really mess with Noah's mind later."

"You do know that we've slept together before, right?" I reply, knowing it will set Lee off.

"Yeah and I still think it's gross. I'm spending a lot of energy trying not to think about it."

"Whatever." I stop myself from saying that Noah could just go under the dress instead of taking it off me - that would make Lee's head explode.

He's about to say something else but gets cut off as June and Linda enter the room.

"Lee, honey, sit down over there before you hurt yourself," June points at a chair off to the side of the mirror as she takes over. A minute later and the buttons up the back of my dress are all fastened.

I turn towards Linda and she carefully secures my veil in my hair, folding the top layer over my face. It's very sheer, so I have no trouble seeing Lee start to tear up as I face towards him.

"Elle, you're beautiful." His voice kind of cracks on the last syllable and he jumps up, crushing me in a hug.

"Aww, you're so sweet," I hug him back before Linda and June tear him off me.

"Get off Lee, you're going to mess her up!"

"Okay, okay, sorry!" He steps back and smiles at me sweetly. "Beautiful."

I blink away my own tears and blow him a kiss.

I look back at the mirror and - holy cow, I do look beautiful! - something about adding the veil has completed the look. I mean, I've kind of seen it all put together before at fittings, but today it just seems different. More, somehow.

My dress is ivory satin overlaid with lace that extends up from the bodice, covering my shoulders, but leaving my arms bare. The skirt is swishy, but nowhere near a full ballgown. Just enough movement for dancing. My hair is curled, mostly down, with just a small braid on either side that wrap back over the comb for my veil. My makeup is fairly natural, just a slightly smoky eye and lipstick dark enough that it will show up in the photos. I've been buffed and polished to within an inch of my life over the last 48 hours and I've got to say, it's working.

I can't wait to see the look on Noah's face. I remind myself that I must not gape when I see him. That is not a good look on a bride, and knowing my luck Lee will capture it forever in a photo and turn me into a meme.

June and Linda run through all the things I need to take with me, or rather that Lee needs to take for me. One of the awesome things about having a Best Man rather than a bridesmaid is that he has heaps of pockets to stash all my stuff in. I totally recommend it. June hands me my bouquet and I am good to go.

I nearly lose it when Dad all but bursts into tears as I walk out to meet him. I give him a gentle hug and then he, Lee and I get in the car for the short drive from the hotel to the venue. June and Linda fuss over me again when we arrive at the entrance to the garden area where the ceremony is being held. Once I'm set, Lee squeezes my hand, then gives the event coordinator the thumbs up and soon the music changes. I hear a rustle of noise as everyone stands up and Lee escorts June and Linda down the aisle to their seats. I grip Dad's arm and take a deep breath.