Enough

Author's Note: It's time for a circuit breaker here. No more paired chapters with alternating views, although you might see different POV's in the same update sometimes. Without further ado, here's our circuit breaker...

Lee

I've had about enough of this shit. I know something went down between Elle and Noah on our 21st birthday weekend in Vegas, something so big that neither of them has ever spoken to me about it and as far as I know, they haven't seen each other since.

I tried talking to Elle about it of course, once I realised what was going on, but she shut me down, citing Rule #20.

Rule no. 20 Terrible decisions are not to be discussed.

And that was the end of that. I figured she would tell me eventually, but it's been nearly three years for Christ's sake and ever since Elle came back to LA, they've carefully orchestrated never to be in the same place at the same time. Noah was only back for one week at the start of last summer because he had an internship back in Boston.

Even so, I had to play the middleman and make sure Elle wasn't at the house when he was. Thanksgiving and Christmas were fucking worse with them avoiding each other completely. Honestly, I'm starting to feel like the child of divorced parents who take turns having me for the holidays, never laying eyes on each other.

I've tried talking to Noah a few times with no luck. The first time was after Thanksgiving when Elle had been gone for a few months and he and I were still up, drinking some of Dad's good whiskey. When I asked him what happened, he looked at me like he was about to push me through a wall and said, "Stay the fuck out of it, Lee." He swallowed the rest of his drink, stomped upstairs to his room and didn't talk to me for three days.

I didn't ask again for about a year. Pretty much the same reaction.

The third time he just sighed and told me to leave it alone, rather than looking like he wanted to punch me in the face, so I suppose that was progress.

I didn't really want to bring it up again, but I'm thinking of proposing to Rachel soon and I can't stand the idea of having the two of them being like this at our engagement party, let alone the wedding. I mean, it might be a big assumption on my part that Rachel will say yes, but I'm hopeful.

I just can't wrap my head around not being able to have my brother and my best friend there on the biggest day of my life. Or worse, having them cause a scene and ruin it for Rachel.

So now here I am, sitting next to my parents at Noah's law school graduation, wondering how to bring it up in a way that won't blow up in my face. As much as it pains me to admit it, my brother is a pretty impressive guy. It used to piss me off when we were teenagers that he seemed to be better than me at everything without trying. What I realise now is that Noah always worked really freakin' hard for what he got, he just hid the effort behind his stupid attitude. I'm still a little irritated that he's taller than me though. Mom and Dad could have done a bit better sharing that particular genetic blessing around.

———————————————————

Noah and I are sitting alone in the living room of his apartment, having a drink after coming back from dinner with our parents, Hayley and her parents. I decide it's now or never, so I ask again.

"Lee, you do not want to hear this story, trust me."

"Yeah probably not, but this can't go on, Noah, so just fucking tell me already."

"Alright fine, you asked for it. Elle turned up at my hotel room and we had the most incredible night of my life and the next day she fucking left and then told me we couldn't be together."

I burst out laughing but stop when Noah looks at me like he's going to murder me and bury my body in the desert.

"It's not funny Lee, she used me."

"Hang on, hang on. Let me get this straight. It's your last night in Vegas and an objectively hot woman in a killer dress hits on you, you have mind blowing sex all night and then the next day she leaves wanting no strings attached? History with Elle aside, you do realise that is literally the stuff dreams are made of, right?"

I laugh again and eventually Noah starts to chuckle too.

"Okay, okay fine. When you put it like that it just sounds dumb. But seriously Lee, I told her I loved her and wanted to make it work and she pretty much threw it in my face."

"Right. So, after you broke her heart and then basically didn't talk to her for three years, the two of you have a one night stand. Then the next day you make some grand declaration of love without talking anything through, right before you're going back to Boston and she's going to Scotland?"

"That about sums it up, yeah."

"And I'm guessing she pointed out all the reasons why trying long, like super long - different countries, distance would be a really bad way to start a relationship?"

"Yep, she sure did."

"And you got angry and said some dumb shit?"

"Maybe."

"So after all that, you and your massively bruised ego have wasted the last three years being miserable about it?"

"Well it wasn't a complete waste; I did manage to graduate from law school today."

I raise my glass to him. "That's true. Still...come on man, you haven't dated Elle since you were 19. Don't you think it's about time you let this go and move on?"

"Okay Lee, point made. I'd like to remind you that I have moved on - with Hayley. Why are you so insistent about this anyway?"

"Because I'm sick of being in the middle of you two and getting dragged into this constant quest to avoid each other. Dude, it is fucking draining. I'd actually like to be able to spend time with both of you in the same room without being worried it's going to turn to shit. You know, you're two of my favourite people and it's like my family has been split down the middle."

"Lee, I'm sorry, it's just-"

"No, I am not finished. Look, I haven't said anything to anyone, but..."

"Spill it Lee."

"I'm thinking about proposing to Rachel..."

"Man, that's awesome, Rach's a great girl."

"Yeah she is. But you know what? If she says yes, I don't want this thing with you and Elle hanging over our heads. I'm gonna want my big brother with me on the day I get married. But I also want my best friend there too."

Noah takes a deep breath and runs his hand through his hair. "Lee, I'm sorry for all this shit, really I am. I don't know how to fix this with Elle, but I promise you, I'll figure it out okay. You're right, enough is enough."

"Thanks man."

"So... my little bro's getting hitched huh?"

"Well I actually have to ask Rachel first, and she has to say yes, but yeah, that's the idea."

"She will. Proud of you Lee."

"Thanks Noah."