Afraid

Elle

The rest of the year is shaping up to be a series of celebrations, starting with Noah's birthday. We go out to dinner with Lee and Rachel like I'd planned, at this cool upscale steak place I know Noah will love. We're seated in one of the leather upholstered booths, Lee and Noah on either end and Rachel and I in the middle. The guys are taking turns eating bites of their steaks and comically groaning at each other with how good it tastes.

Rachel and I are just about in hysterics and she leans over to whisper, "You can take the man out of the cave...."

I laugh even harder. "I know right?"

She stops laughing, a big smile still on her face. "Seriously though, how did we get so lucky?"

I smile back and shrug, knowing she's serious despite it sounding like she's joking. "I don't know, must have done something right, I guess."

Rachel gives my shoulder a squeeze. "Well I'm glad we got here, Elle."

I look at her seriously. "Me too, Rach, me too."

I already gave Noah his main present this morning, a box containing the booking info for a trip away I've planned for Thanksgiving weekend. We'll spend the actual day with our families, but Friday through Sunday, he's all mine. He's already started working long hours at his job, which is part of being a lawyer, I know, but it will be nice to have three whole days alone with him.

The holiday arrives before I know it and I have breakfast with Dad, Linda and Brad before they go off to spend the rest of the day with Linda's family in what has become tradition now. I'm heading over to the Flynn's for my first turkey day there in a long time. I know things have changed a lot, but I'm still kind of nervous all the same. It must be more obvious than I think, because while I'm helping Linda with the dishes, she puts her hands on my shoulders.

"Elle, it's going to be okay you know? You'll be fine."

I give her a half smile, "I know, it's just-"

"Elle, it's the Flynns. And it's Noah. And the two of you are fine. Stop overthinking things."

I smile at her more gratefully now and accept the hug she offers. "Thanks Linda."

Of course she's right, and it's more than fine. Noah greets me on the driveway and just about pulls me out of my car into his arms, like he didn't just see me last night. He's like a little kid on Christmas morning as he all but drags me into the house.

"Elle's here!"

"Yes I can see that Noah," his dad chuckles and gives me a hug. "Hi sweetheart, lovely to have you here with us. Happy Thanksgiving."

"It's good to be here, Happy Thanksgiving to you, too" I tell him.

We head down to the kitchen where June is busy preparing food.

"Oh hi Elle," she says brightly, before looking past me at Noah, raising her eyebrow. "I had no idea you were here."

I laugh and give her a big hug, "Well I'm excited to be here, too."

"Good. Now that you're both here, you can give me a hand."

We help June for awhile and then Lee and Rachel arrive. Soon the conversation turns to their engagement party, which Rachel's parents will be hosting the week before Christmas when her brother gets home, and then onto wedding plans. I'm starting to zone out a little when Noah whispers in my ear. "Meet me upstairs in my old room in five."

I turn to tell him off, but he's already stealthily escaping. I wait a solid ten minutes just for good measure and then mumble some excuse about going to freshen up before the rest of the guests arrive. June and Rachel are so deep in conversation that they barely notice, but Lee narrows his eyes at me suspiciously. I shrug slightly and try not to laugh as I make my own escape.