Moment

Elle

The week after Lee and Rachel's wedding is like one long hangover, and not just because of the actual hangover I had the next day. Brunch at the Flynn's complete with one of June's famous Bloody Marys sorted that out. But you know what it's like when you've been building up to an event for months and then it's suddenly over? Well I think we all had a bit of a case of those blues. I mean, not Lee and Rachel of course, they were on their honeymoon and based on the photos they were posting it was all sunsets and cocktails, as it should be. But Noah was pretty quiet.

It didn't help that he got pulled onto a new account midway through that week. His firm did a lot of work for corporate clients and apparently this deal was in danger of going sideways. So he was putting in even more hours than usual doing a lot of the grunt work. I didn't see him Wednesday night and was really starting to miss him by Friday when a text message flashed up on my screen in the afternoon.

Noah: Hi Shell, not going to get out of here until late again, sorry x

Damn. I'd been looking forward to having dinner with him tonight, but I knew he wasn't doing this by choice. Maybe we could still hang out later if he didn't finish too late.

Me: Ok babe, call me when you leave x

I'd just put my phone down when Andie and Jesse stopped at my desk.

"Hey guys, what's up?"

"Well...we were just talking with some of the others in the break room about maybe grabbing drinks after work. You in?"

I smiled. "Actually, my plans just fell through, so yeah, I'm in." At least this way I wouldn't be sitting at home like a loser waiting for Noah to call.

"Cool," Andie smiled. "My housemates will probably swing by too, so if you want to bring someone..."

"I'll give Steph a call, check if she's busy with her boyfriend."

"Awesome, we're thinking Chatterbox?" Jesse says.

"Sounds good. I'll probably go home first and dump my bike, but I'll meet you there."

"Excellent, catch you later."

Well at least I have plans now. I text Steph and she gives me a thumbs-up and a string of cocktail emojis, so I know she's keen.

Pretty much everyone from my company, including two of the lead designers, end up coming out for drinks. Add to that the various friends like Steph who've come along, and we're a pretty big group. It's almost nine when I see Noah's name flash up on my phone, and I head outside where it's quiet to answer the call.

"Hey babe, you finally leaving?"

"Yeah, just driving home now." He sounds beat.

"Okay, well Steph and I are having drinks with a bunch of people from work, do you maybe want to come for one?"

"I'm not sure I'd be the best company, Elle."

"Come on, just one. For me? I miss you." I know I'm playing the guilt card, but I don't care. I do miss him.

"Okay Shelly, you win. I'll come. Send me the details."

"Yay, see you soon."

I send him the address and head back inside, smiling more than I have all week.

Of course I spot him when he enters the bar, not just because he's tall, but because he's so ridiculously handsome. I'm not sure there will ever be a time when seeing Noah doesn't make my heart skip a beat. He's still wearing his navy suit pants and white business shirt, but has ditched the tie and jacket he would've had on earlier, and he's loosened his collar a little. I know I'm not the only one enjoying the view, but I'm the one who gets the smile from him when he spots me. I get up from the table and hug my guy.