Always

Elle

The rest of the fall semester disappeared in a flash. Before I knew it, winter break had arrived and I was driving to the airport to collect Lee. He'd decided not to bring the Mustang home this time, and so the tables were turned, I was to be his chauffeur for a change. I stood in the arrivals hall with a sign.

EEL NNYLF

I knew it was childish, but I also knew Lee, I mean Eel, would love it. The grin that spread across his face when he saw me was priceless. Totally worth standing there like an idiot for.

Lee dropped his bag and grabbed me in a hug, swinging me around in a circle. "Hi Eel," I giggled.

"Hi Elle. Wait, your name's the same backwards! No fair!"

"Why do you think I did it?" I laughed.

"Boo! Hiss!" he grumbled. His face suddenly brightened. "So, I'm very much looking forward to this whole role reversal thing, where you drive me everywhere I want to go.

"Yeah, yeah, enjoy it while you can." I held my index finger up. "But no complaining about my driving skills, or you can get out and walk."

"Yes ma'am. Cross my heart."

We grinned at each other and took off to the parking lot, arm in arm.

Noah arrived a couple of days before Christmas and he, Lee and I hung out on Christmas Eve. Alyssa was spending the holidays with her family so it was just us three, like the old days. We watched Christmas movies and ate too many of June's cookies. Eventually I had to go home to eat dinner with my family. Not that I felt like I could fit another bite in.

I hugged Lee and turned to Noah. He hesitated, but I stepped forward and hugged him too. Only a fraction of a second passed before he hugged me back.

"Merry Christmas guys, I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Merry Christmas Elle," they chorused.

The next day, I woke bright and early and went downstairs to start making breakfast for everyone. Linda came in when I was about halfway done. "Morning Elle," she said brightly. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas Linda." I smiled a genuine smile at her. I was happy she was part of my dad's life, part of all our lives. In a week's time, they would be married. They'd picked New Years Eve for their wedding day. The definition of a new start, Dad had said, to be married in time for the new year.

Linda helped me so that by the time Dad dragged Brad downstairs, everything was ready and on the table. I smiled at my family as we ate and for the first time in a few years now, I was excited for Christmas at the Flynn's, with no tinge of sadness or nerves. When we arrived, June wrapped me in a big hug like she hadn't seen me for a month instead of just yesterday and Lee helped me carry all our presents to the tree.

At lunch Lee and I took advantage of being down the opposite end of the table from our parents to fill each other in on various bits of gossip and stories about our end of semester parties. Noah was pretty quiet and I couldn't help but notice him flinch when I talked about crazy parties or drinking or not needing my fake ID for too much longer. I shrugged it off, figuring it was just his over-protective tendencies kicking in.

After the present opening saga, Lee took his loot upstairs, telling me he'd meet me in the den. I walked that way but Noah cornered me in the hallway. He ran his hand through his hair, a sure sign that something was on his mind. "Hey. Sorry I was such a buzzkill earlier."

"That's okay. I figured our juvenile stories were just boring you," I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"That, that wasn't it. Look Elle, I just, can you please just promise me you'll be careful when you're at parties and stuff? I mean it, like don't accept drinks from anyone and always make sure you stay with your friends. Please?"