Chapter 124

The Sorting ended. Professor McGonagall picked up the hat and the stool and carried them away. "About time," said JJ, seizing his knife and fork and looking expectantly at his golden plate.

Professor Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. He was smiling around at the students, his arms opened wide in welcome. "I have only two words to say to you," he told them, his deep voice echoing around the Hall. "Tuck in."

"Hear, hear!" said JJ and Cedric loudly as the empty dishes filled magically before their eyes. Kirra looked at the food for a few mere seconds, only to find that she wasn't hungry. Cedric was the first one to notice this.

"Arent you going to eat anything?" Cedric asked her, his tone filled with worry and confusion. Why was she acting this way. Usually the girl was beyond bubbly and she was always hungry, eating multiple plates full of food... it was like the girl sitting in front of him was not Kirra Potter.

"I'm not hungry, I've eaten a lot of food today," the girl lied, a small smile on her face as she suddenly felt sick at the smell of the freshly cooked food that she usually craved. She reached down to play with the hair tye on her wrist, she just wanted to go to bed and wake up and hope that it was all over. 

"Aaah, 'at's be'er," said JJ, with his mouth full of mashed potato. But his grin dropped as he too noticed the Hufflepuffs empty plate. JJ turned his body around to look over at the Slytherin table, his eyes trailing along them all, stopping finally when he was looking over at Mattheo and Theodore who surprisingly also hadn't put any food on their plates.

The two of them were staring down at the table, off in their own minds. What JJ didn't know was that all they were thinking about was Kirra Potter. JJ knew that Mattheo had broken up with Kirra, she had told them over the phone but she seemed fine. Had she really been that good at hiding how hurt she was?

But as JJ began to think about it even more, he wondered just how much pain she was really in. He turned back in his seat and looked at her. She was hunching over slightly and playing with the hair tye on her wrist that already gave off the information that something was wrong.

She had lost her appetite, which was definitely odd for someone like Kirra Potter who, just like him, ate a shit ton of food for every meal. Even the aura that she was giving off was horrible. He could literally feel the sadness radiating out of her. 

Kirra sat in silence, she could no longer hear the loud laughter and chatter from the people around her. The only thing she could hear was the loud, slow thumping of her heart echoing through her ears and body.

It's scary that the heart makes no sound when it breaks. She loved him so much that it broke her, but then again she was already broken. She had been through this before again and again, losing the ones that she loved. She knew nothing in the world lasted forever, the universe had proven that to her over and over again; but she had been foolish enough to hope that this would.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rain was still drumming heavily against the high, dark glass. Another clap of thunder shook the windows, and the stormy ceiling flashed, illuminating the golden plates as the remains of the first course vanished and were replaced, instantly, with puddings.

"Treacle tart, Kirra!" said JJ, deliberately wafting its smell toward her, trying to get her to eat something. "Spotted dick, look! Chocolate gateau!" But Kirra just sat there in silence, she hadn't even heard her.

JJ let out a small sigh and put his fork down on his plate which was still covered in food, he reached over and grabbed her hand softly in his own, causing her to break out of her trance and look up at him, "You really should eat something." He whispered to her.