Chapter 159

There was a slight pause, and then Dumbledore said, "Did you by any chance hear what Miss Potter was shouting, Hagrid?" 

Kirra was glaring over at Dumbledore, just about ready to snap the mans neck, but Dumbledore smiled at her and continued, "Miss Potter and Mr Rowle still seem to want to know you, judging by the way they were attempting to break down the door."

"Of course we still want to know you!" Kirra said, staring at Hagrid. "You don't think anything that Skeeter cow — sorry," she added quickly, "I just meant — Hagrid, how could you think we'd care what that — woman — wrote about you? I've known you a very long time now Hagrid" Two fat tears leaked out of Hagrid's beetle-black eyes and fell slowly into his tangled beard.

"Living proof of what I've been telling you, Hagrid," said Dumbledore, still looking carefully up at the ceiling. "I have shown you the letters from the countless parents who remember you from their own days here, telling me in no uncertain terms that if I sacked you, they would have something to say about it —"

"Not all of 'em," said Hagrid hoarsely. "Not all of 'em wan' me ter stay."

"Really, Hagrid, if you are holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a very long time," said Dumbledore, now peering sternly over his half-moon spectacles. "Not a week has passed since I became headmaster of this school when I haven't had at least one owl complaining about the way I run it. But what should I do? Barricade myself in my study and refuse to talk to anybody?"

"Yeh — yeh're not half-giant!" said Hagrid croakily.

"Hagrid, look what I've got for relatives!" Kirra said furiously. "Look at the Dursleys!"

"An excellent point," said Professor Dumbledore. "My own brother, Aberforth, was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms on a goat. It was all over the papers, but did Aberforth hide? No, he did not! He held his head high and went about his business as usual! Of course, I'm not entirely sure he can read, so that may not have been bravery. . . ."

"Come back and teach, Hagrid," said Jasper quietly, "please come back, we really miss you."

Hagrid gulped. More tears leaked out down his cheeks and into his tangled beard. It was clear that Kirra was also becoming emotional as she watched her dear friend cry. Mattheo wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her into his side, his fingers softly dancing against the fabric around her waist.

Kirra leant into his touch and rested her head against his arm. Dumbledore looked at the pair and it was like looking at Ophelia Winston and Tom Riddle all over again, he felt a stabbing pain in the back of his mind. He knew it was his fault, every single bit of it had been his fault, he cleared his thoughts. No, of course it isn't my fault. I was trying to kill Riddle and save the world from another powerful dark wizard. Its not my fault that she got in the way of the blade. 

Dumbledore stood up. "I refuse to accept your resignation, Hagrid, and I expect you back at work on Monday," he said. "You will join me for breakfast at eight-thirty in the Great Hall. No excuses. Good afternoon to you all."

Dumbledore left the cabin, pausing only to scratch Fang's ears, the only thing on his mind was Kirra, Ophelia, Tom and Mattheo.

Would Mattheo turn out like his father had done, they are very similar. Should he attempt to stop the rise of a dark wizard again before its too late? What if he stuffed it up again? no, I just need to make sure that Kirra isn't anywhere near him if I tried to end him, then history would not repeat itself.

When the door had shut behind him, Hagrid began to sob into his dustbin-lid-sized hands. Kirra kept patting his arm, and at last, Hagrid looked up, his eyes very red indeed, and said, "Great man, Dumbledore . . . great man . . ."