I

Niki

A groan left my lips as I plop down my bed and look around. I removed my shoes and changed into a more comfortable clothes before removing my mask off my face. I gaze at myself in the mirror and sighed. I hate how I look.

My mask has always been my savior from the shame I'm bound to feel almost everyday of my life. My face just shows me how I am just a mistake and how I am an accident not wanted to happen.

I am wearing a mask for all my life ever since my mom died and she left me with my father who unfortunately already has a family. I have no issues at first but when I laid eyes on my sister, I was slapped on the face that I am nothing but a mistake.

Hey I'm Riki by the way, Nishimura Riki, my mom used to call me Niki but now, I hated that name, it made me look more like a girl. Not to deny the fact that I look almost identical to my sister. Kids kept teasing me that I look like a girl because of my similarities with my sister. My step mom always says how we look like twins and then our relatives will literally want to talk nothing but our similar facial features.

My sister is Jung Hoyeon. She's an amazing person but, she's a pain in my life. Since our parents left her in charge to look after me since we go to the same school, she always acts like a boss and it makes the other students tease me more.

Just then, the worst thing happen. I unfortunately am asthmatic making me more vulnerable to teasing because I cannot join anything that involves physical activities. I am just in the photography club and the art club which sucks by the way.

I was heartbroken by the fact that I can no longer dance. Well I still can but my dad and step sister did not allow it because according to them, it is bad for me. I mean jumping here and there won't kill me. Plus, clinics are there for a reason. Dancing is the only connection I hold on my mother as she's also a dancer but unfortunately, I cannot anymore. It's not helping that my sister and I are in the same school and the fact that she's the student council president makes it harder for me to sneak in the dance club or even the dance studio.

I'm stuck with paints and the camera.

I laid on my bed as I stared at my desk where photos of me and my family were placed. One of them is me and my mom. I don't look like her at all. I mean, I got majority of my features from my dad. Then a photo of me and my sister side by side when we were kids and I hate to admit that we look similar because we have the same hair cut. Why does this girl like her hair short?

Then my eyes went to the huge painting I made on the mythical creature I always believe exists, the nine tailed fox.

That painting I made was Kurama, the one in the anime. But because the color is just orange and other shades of orange, I made another painting beside it, a white one, with a touch of light blue and some gray on its tails.

(Photo not mine https://pin

(Photo not mine https://pin.it/4Ki47Vp)

I only know to myself about my fascination with this creature. My family always thought that it is because this creature is beautiful but to me, they're more than that. I mean, imagine if one really exist. I would love to meet them.

I read some articles about these creatures and almost all of them are saying that they're creatures who hypnotize people or they eat hearts of people or they can become human to lure humans to the forest to eat. But no matter how they were described, I still can't believe such beautiful creature as depicted in drawings and paintings can be that vicious.

I believe nine tailed fox exist more than believing that aliens exist. I mean, I don't know about me when or how this started but after watching Naruto when I was young, I think that somehow started it. Then I happen to come across some movies inspired by the creature and I became more fascinated.

I stood and walk towards the two paintings and I smiled to myself as the time in the art club did justice. But I am still sad when my eyes traveled to one of my photos when I'm 4 where I am holding a medal for winning a dance competition.

I once tried to sneak into a dance class in school but I was caught. My sister has a lot of spies I guess. Then I happen to come across some street performers and I tried to enter their group as they're looking for new faces but I realized, my sister is a fan of this group so I'd rather not.

Good thing they haven't thought of getting me a personal body guard because that would not be good.

My mask by the way has always been an issue for me and my parents because they want me to not wear it and they always say I look handsome but after hearing all those insults from other people, I'd rather hide my face. they will just look at me and say "He looks like his father. . . it's not obvious how he's not a legitimate child. "

I know I'm illegitimate but do they have to rub it on my face? It hurts you know. Its not like I asked for this.

By the way, my dad wanted to change my name to legally make me a Jung but it might make more people to talk like they know everything. I will only be called "lucky and privelleged". in other words, I am just someone who was unworthily benefited by the Jungs so I prefer my old identity. That way, people won't say anything.

A knock on my door interrupted my monologue making me wear my mask again before opening the door.

"Come downstairs, we have some discussion"

I know I messed up again when my stepmother would be the one to call me.

So I went downstairs and indeed, they're all gathered there, just my dad and my sister.

"What is this all about?"

I asked as I sat on the chair.

"Niki . .--"

"Please don't call me that . . I'm Riki"

My dad nodded before clearing his throat.

"Riki . . . your sister suggested we get you a personal assistant.  .--"

"A body guard? . oh great . . what a way to make more people laugh at me ---"

"Riki no . . listen. . . it's for your own good. . you kept having asthma attacks for almost everyday and it concerns me . . asthma is no joke. What if no one is there when you had an attack? You could ---"

"Die? . . oh come on dad, I won't,--"

"Riki, please just let us get you a personal assistant. . It's for the best . . look I already called the agency and they're sending someone tomorrow. . we gave them some standard. .--"

"Whatever!! Just tell me that you don't want to deal with me so you want others to deal with me! I have enough teasing and people trash talking me. . . now my own father wants nothing to do with me?"

"We're just protecting you . . .we mean no harm and it is for your own good"

"Yeah, easy for you to say Hoyeon"

I spoke and left the dining area and into my room. Of course, my sister is into this, she would do everything to keep me bounded and I'm not happy with it.

My sister always do things to mess with me and I can't do anything to fight her back. All I could do is hide because I'm a good for nothing mistake.

Whoever that new body guard is tomorrow won't last long.

I took my phone and noticed how our school posted a new notice.

Classes are suspended tomorrow due to an emergency meeting and I am way too happy to even react.

I removed my mask and laid down not after locking my door to make sure no one will enter and see my face.

_______