Chapter 6

Alec's POV:

Present day

I clean the sweat off my forehead with the hem of my shirt. Training with the guys was hard, but nothing I couldn't take. Today though, there was more fun having to watch Carter trying to force Carmen to do some exercise, when she only wanted to lay and eat some chocolate chip cookies.

Rebecka made sure to get everything on video, which probably will lead to a fight later during the day. Nothing to worry about though, it was fun to watch both of them argue.

I stop in my tracks when I see my mother rushing past me sobbing and murmuring things under her breath. I didn't even get to say a word to stop her, because she was out of sight once I turn to confront her. With a frown, I walk toward my father's studio, a bit concerned by my mother's behavior.

I open the door without knocking knowing very well it annoyed him.

"What's wrong with mother? She seemed as if someone died"

My father raises his stare with a lazy smile on his face. My frown deepened.

"Remember the young she-wolf that went missing like a decade ago?" he asks.

Yes, I remember. The case was very serious and was open for years. It was really strange and worrisome. It had the kingdom on high alert. That and my mother became best friends with the pup's mother. I think I was away at the time. It was hard to watch the pup's mother crying hysterically over my mother's shoulder. Just the thought of something happening to my little sister of thirteen at that time made my lycan mad.

"Yeah, what about it?"

His smile grows wider.

"Just this morning, the pack's patrol found her wandering alone in the big forest close to the pack. Isn't that amazing?"

I was speechless. It didn't make sense. Why now? Was she there all this time? Didn't she go missing in some state in the United States?

"But-" I was stunned. "How?"

"They didn't say much over the phone, too astounded it seems" he shakes his head as if he couldn't still believe it himself. "Actually, I'm on my way there. I want you to be on high alert if anything needs my attention, okay?"

I nodded and I turn to head to my room to shower.

When I arrived at the wing I shared with my friends, I went directly to my chambers and once there took two steps at a time to get to the bathroom faster. I take my time under the hot water, and right before finishing, I turn the water cold to distract me from those thoughts that wanted to tear me apart, but now that I was standing in front of the mirror covered in a layer of vapor with a towel around my hips, I couldn't help but wonder who I really am, if I take the layers of myself, like the partying, the alcohol and women.

I was old, had been alive for over two centuries, and still with no mate. If it wasn't for my friends, I would have probably turned into a mad lycan.

I was certain I enjoyed my life as a bachelor, drinking with no care in the world and a different woman every night, but once I was alone with my friends that were already mated, I started feeling the loneliness, and the fact that I would love to have someone beside me, someone to wake up to.

But every year, every decade, I would feel my hope fading. I have traveled all over the world with my friends, in an attempt to keep life interesting and not get bored, and still hadn't found her. Maybe she hasn't been born yet? When then?

My parents were running out of patience, pushing me to mate with Elena, the daughter of the prime minister, but she was a spoiled brat and I hated her. I would only mate with the one that is meant for me, so I was also running out of time on finding her.

With my mood completely ruined I put some clothes on and walk to the leaving area where my friends would lay and talk and spend time. They were already there, all refreshed.

I walk past them, directly to the bar and serve myself a humble glass of whiskey.

"Everything okay, man?" I hear Carter ask and I grunt in response. I walk to them and let myself fall onto a couch lazily, spilling a little bit on the carpet.

Whatever.

"Have you heard?" Felix wonders and I frown at him, having no clue about what he is talking about.

"The she-wolf that went missing eleven years ago was found this morning" answers Rebecka.

Gossip and news spread like wildfire here in the palace.

I nod, bringing the glass to my lips.

"Yeah. Father told me after training" I reply, and I feel like a jerk for not giving my full attention to the subject, but my mind was elsewhere.

"I just have so many question" I hear Carmen say, doing as if her head was exploding.

"Well, I guess we will find out tonight" answers Rebecka with a smile. These two loved gossip and were curious as cats.

I cocked my head, confused.

"Why tonight?"

"Annie just came saying that the queen was throwing a welcoming party for the she-wolf and needed some help because, well, she wants to celebrate her return tonight and your mother is still there with her friend's daughter so the responsibility fell over your sister's head" Carmen explained shrugging one shoulder and she and Rebecka stand, I'm guessing to go and help Annie with event planning.

I expel a breath.

"My mother is acting as if this strange girl was her own daughter and she hadn't seen her before" I mock not getting her behavior. "Hey!" I complain when Carmen's heel hit the side of my head.

"Don't be such a jerk. She is your mother's friend's daughter, and when your friend is in pain or happy you share their emotion too" she spat walking toward me to retrieve her heel but I just throw it to the other side of the large room, and as a return, she hits the back of my head.

"Carter!" I complain, giving him a look.

"What? You were the one who upset her" he replies shrugging.

"But she is your mate" I point out.

"Yeah, more reason to not upset her" he answers with a goofy grin and sends a kiss to his mate before the two girls left.

I lay back, thinking that I might have to make an appearance tonight for my mother's sake. But couldn't stop thinking about the return of the girl.

Eleven years? That was a lot of time to go missing for. To be honest, I was completely sure she was dead by now, but seems that the odds were in her favor. I have a lot of questions myself. I guess I'll have to wait until the party starts.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

The man is in the picture! How do you like that?

Hope you get to love Alec as much as I do🥰

Happy reading everyone 🥳

Pss: when I wrote "women every night" I meant it as an expression. Imagine 365 women a year? Lol!