Chapter 10

Riley's POV:

I was on cloud nine.

Everything seemed brighter and more colorful. Everyone looked happier and cheerful. The night sky seemed to have more stars and the moon looked bigger and shinier. Or is just my happy self projecting my mood toward everything?

I have this feeling in my chest that spreads all over my body, making my limbs tingle. It is a good feeling, but it was kinda scary, because I have never felt anything like this before. And I didn't know what to do with this big balloon filled with happiness and butterflies that is stuck inside my chest.

I didn't know much about mates, even less about lycans. The humans don't have that kind of information in their libraries, sadly, so I guess I had to ask my mom about it. I felt as if I was about to do a test that I didn't prepare myself for. And it was so freaking terrifying.

Now I regret not giving too much thought about the mate thing all these years. Because, well, I wasn't sure mates were a thing in the werewolves world. And because I never thought about leaving my adoptive parents to join a pack, so I got used to the human ways, like marriage.

I so love the idea of getting married and planning my wedding. I would picture in my head my dream dress and the engagement ring. What music would be played on our first dance and where would we go on our honeymoon.

But I wasn't in the human world anymore, and werewolves don't get "married", they mate. I guess I have to delete my wedding board on Pinterest now.

Now I needed to adjust to my new life once again.

The King and Queen came to us with questioning eyes, and Alec broke the news to them, and I was surprised to find out that my mate was their son! Alec is the prince and heir of the crown! My head was spinning at this new information. It was hard to believe that the Moon Goddess paired me with a prince. After what I've been through, I didn't think I would be worthy of a high-ranking mate, so this just blew my mind.

But I couldn't care less about his title, to be honest, all I wanted to do was to hug him, to press my body against his and bury my head in the crook of his neck.

I never got intimate affection from someone. Never had a boyfriend, so when our skin touched for the first time, something in me turned on and now I crave his touch like a madwoman being abandoned in a desert for months without water.

I never felt like this and I just couldn't have enough of it. He was beautiful, and being close to him just felt so damn right. Because, after all, this is fate. We were destined to be together. And I knew I have all my life ahead to be with him, but after what happened to me, I suffered a trauma, and I just couldn't bear the thought of him abandoning me, or something happening that would tear us apart, taking us far away from each other. Just thinking that made my stomach twirl.

I knew I needed to enjoy every second I have with him.

It's crazy, because we just met, and still, I felt complete, as if being away would mean leaving a part of me. I already felt like I care for him, that I need him for my sanity. His touch makes me more relaxed and happy and to realize the power Alec holds over me is terrifying, but still, I wouldn't have it any other way. There is no way I am having a life without him.

***

After talking with the King and Queen, they make the announcement that the crown prince had found his mate, and everyone cheers. I found myself leaning toward Alec's body, wanting to disappear, to get out of the spotlight. I didn't feel comfortable having everyone's attention, but I guess it was something I needed to get used to it and learn how to control my anxiety now that my mate was a public figure, making me one as well.