Chapter Forty-Five

Ezra walked back into the bedroom he shared with Aubrey. He smiled at her when she turned to face him, sitting on her knees on the bed. "What's the plan now?" she asked him.

"Well," he stated as he walked over to her. He reached underneath the bed and grabbed both of their bags. He pulled them out and placed them on the bed beside her. "I need to get back to the warehouse and start organizing Jearon's mess." He looked over at her and smiled. "I also need to get you home."

Aubrey's smile faded just a little bit. "I'm not going back to my house, Ezra."

Ezra nodded grimly as he moved her legs. He sat down next to her and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close to him. "I was thinking about taking you back to the cabin."

"Which one?" She leaned her head against his shoulder.

He knew that she was teasing him, but it still hurt his heart to think back on that past. He hated that they had met under those circumstances. In a way, he was grateful that they had met. He has never been as happy as he was now. He just wished that he didn't have to kidnap her to find his woman.

Aubrey looked up at him, noticing the silence. She reached her hand up and caressed his cheek. "I know what you're thinking, Ezra."

Ezra leaned into her touch. "I'll make everything right, Aubrey." He grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "I promise you, I will."

"I know you will, Ezra." She leaned up and pressed a soft kiss on his cheek. "Back to my original question. Which cabin?"

Ezra chuckled and rolled his eyes. "My cabin."

Aubrey smiled and nodded. "I liked that one." She stood up and started to pack up the little clothing they brought with them. "I felt safe there." There was silence for a couple of moments before she opened her mouth again, "I do have something to ask of you, Ezra."

"What is it, princess?" He watched her every movement as she walked around the room.

Aubrey stopped moving beside the bed. She had her grip on the zipper of his duffle bag. "I want to have a funeral for dad."

Ezra reached out and grabbed her hand, giving it a quick squeeze. "I've already started the process, princess."

"I know he made a lot of mistakes in the past couple of months," she continued as if she hadn't heard him. "But he's still my dad. I still love him." Tears started to pool in the corners of her eyes. "He's still the one who raised me when mom passed." She looked up at him when the tears started to fall down her cheeks. "I shouldn't have left him, Ezra."

"Aubrey-"

"If we hadn't left, he could still be alive."

Ezra pulled her so she was straddling in his lap. "Aubrey-"

"I know that you were mad about what he did, but you could have still protected him." She rested her forehead against his shoulder. "I still want him to have a proper burial, Ezra. I want him to have one soon. I need closure." That last sentence came out in a whisper, barely audible to him.

Ezra wrapped his arms around her waist and squeezed her as close to him as she could be. "I've already started preparations, princess. I had one of the men go pick him up and take him to the funeral home." He reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she looked up at him. "I will show you the plans that I've already worked on. If there is anything that you're wanting to change or add, don't hesitate. I'll make sure that he has a proper burial."

Aubrey still had tears falling down her cheeks as she started to smile. "Thank you."

Ezra kept his fingers laced in her hair. "I will always do whatever you ask of me, princess." He leaned forward and pressed a long kiss on her lips. His heart broke as he tasted her tears on her lips. He felt her wrap her arms around his neck and pull him closer to her as she deepened the kiss.

A knock sounded on the door causing them to separate from each other. "I've got the van running," Asher announced from the other side.

Aubrey giggled as she got off of Ezra's lap. "We're coming, Asher!" She started to reach for their duffle bags, but Ezra grabbed them before she could.

"You're not carrying anything, princess," he teased her as he planted a kiss on the top of her head. "Let's go."