Chapter Four

Ezra waited for Jearon to stop by the past three days, but he never did. He thought it was strange. Jearon wanted Aubrey but wouldn't put up a fight for her. Ezra knew that Jearon was suspicious that Ezra would fight him to keep her safe. Jearon saw the way that Ezra was looking at him when he was touching Aubrey. Although maybe he did want her for her father's money. Perhaps that was all, but it was still strange behavior to Ezra. Jearon knew Ezra as well as he knew him. Maybe he knew that fighting him wouldn't be successful. Ezra was taller and more muscular than him, with more experience in a fight. 

Every day, it seemed as if Aubrey felt more relaxed. He could see she was still scared, but she didn't try to run again. He successfully convinced her to watch a movie with him last night. She sat in a chair on the other side of the couch, away from him, but still seemed more relaxed. He believed she was starting to think that he wouldn't hurt her. He was trying to control the feeling he felt in the pit of his stomach. Soon, she'll be gone and out of his hair, but he kept thinking he didn't want her gone. It was probably just that he hadn't been with a woman in a while, and now that he was stuck near her, he wanted her, although it felt like more.

Stop it, he thought to himself. 

He looked at her across the small kitchen table. He gave a small smile as he watched her poke her eggs. "You shouldn't play with your food," he tried to joke with her, trying to lighten the mood.

Aubrey looked up at him with tired eyes. The fear in them had gone away this morning, and for that, he was grateful. She gave him a small smile before looking down at her eggs again. 

Ezra bit his lip, contemplating asking his question. "What's wrong?"

Aubrey looked up at him; her mouth turned down. "Besides being kidnapped?" Annoyance laced her voice. 

Ezra rolled his eyes and poked at his food. "If you're not wanting to talk about it, then fine."

She looked at him for a couple of minutes before saying in a small voice. "I miss my dad."

Ezra lowered his head in his hands. "I know you do, Aubrey, but you know-"

"Until he gives your boss the money, I can't go home," Aubrey interrupted. She sighed loudly. "I know. You can't do anything about it until your boss says otherwise."

He wanted to apologize but didn't think that she would accept it. Instead, he decided to continue eating. They ate in silence until both were finished. Ezra picked up their plates and walked to the sink when they were done. He sat them down in the sink and decided to get them later.

His phone rang, and looking at the caller id; he saw that it was one of the men from the warehouse. He had messaged them yesterday about bringing some clothes over for Aubrey, so she wasn't wearing his clothes the entire time. In the back of his mind, he didn't mind her wearing his clothes. He liked seeing her in his clothes, but she was only part of Jearon's mission to get more money. Eventually, he kept telling himself she would be gone. She would be back home. And he wouldn't have to do more laundry than was necessary. 

He didn't understand why her father took this long to give Jearon the money. His daughter had been kidnapped and taken to a cabin in the woods with a man he didn't know. While Ezra knew he would never hurt Aubrey, her father didn't know. Why was he taking so long with the money? It was almost suspicious. Like something was wrong, there was more than what was being told. 

He answered the phone and held it up to his ear. "Yeah?"

The man on the other end answered. "We've left the box at the front door."

"Thanks," Ezra hung up and looked over at Aubrey. "Stay here," he ordered her. "I've got something for you to feel more comfortable." Aubrey tensed up and gave him a weird look. He was grateful again that fear didn't shine in her eyes, only confusion. He opened the door, revealing a large box marked with the word clothes for girl

Picking the box up, he walked back into the kitchen and placed it on the table in front of Aubrey. She slowly stood up and looked at him. "What's this?"

Ezra cut through the tape and opened the box. "Clothes for you."

"Why can't I just continue wearing your clothes?" She folded her arms at him, a slight smirk ghosting across her lips.  

He smirked inwardly at her stubbornness. The things he would do to this woman if she kept testing him. "Because you'd be more comfortable in clothes better suited for you, and I'd get my clothes back." He reached into the box and pulled out a black hoodie. "But don't worry, I made sure to get you clothes similar to mine." He handed the hoodie over to her. 

Aubrey reached out and took the hoodie from him. Surveying it, she deemed it acceptable and gave him a small smile. "Thank you."

Ezra gave her a tight nod. His phone's text message ring rang in his pocket. He reached into his pocket and took it out, seeing a text from Jearon. 

Do you still have the girl?

Ezra rolled his eyes. Yes. She has a name. He looked up and noticed Aubrey's small smile as she was sifting through the clothes. 

Yeah, of course she does. Anyway, I've changed my mind. I want her with me.

Why? Ezra's hand started to tighten around the phone. 

What do you think? She's beautiful. I'm single. She's single. I want to touch her body. There was a pause for a moment before he sent another one. I'm trying to say that I'm horny and can't get her out of my head. 

Ezra sighed. He knew that Jearon would try to take her back. Ezra wasn't going to let that happen. He sent another text. Do I need to remind you about the cops?

No need, Ezra. I don't care. I want her. I'm coming by tomorrow to get her. Make sure she's ready. Don't text back. 

Ezra stared at the text message for a while before shoving his phone back into his pocket. He promised himself that he wouldn't let Jearon touch her. He promised Aubrey that he wouldn't let any harm come to her. He looked back up at Aubrey and made his decision. He placed a hand on her shoulder.

She looked up at him, and her expression changed when she saw his face. "What? What's wrong?" She tensed up slightly. 

"Get ready. We're leaving right when the sun falls."