Chapter Fourteen

Ezra walked into Aubrey's room and sat on her bed. He looked around and sighed as he ran his hands over her light blue comforter. He's been here for three days and all he was allowed to do was talk to Mr. Hallquist about the plan to rescue Aubrey. Ezra wasn't one to just sit and not do anything. He made it his job to walk around the house and make sure that all the windows and doors were locked. Although, he let Mr. Hallquist take control. If he didn't he wouldn't be able to help as he should. Mr. Hallquist would make sure of it. 

Mr. Hallquist was doing all the work. He was gathering old SWAT members that he knows and convincing them to join him. So far, Ezra hasn't done anything. He wasn't allowed to do anything else. All he was told to do was wait until the rescue day came. There he would be given a gun and he would help save the woman he loved before he had to disappear. 

Yes, he loved her.

Every time he thought of those words together, he would smile, but not today. He was getting restless with waiting. He couldn't do it anymore. He wanted to hold her again. He wanted to feel her skin against his. Yes, he sexually wanted her, but right now he just wanted all of her. He wanted to breathe in her scent. He wanted to see her smile. He wanted to hear her beautiful laugh. 

Ezra growled as he lay down on the bed. He's going to fucking kill Jearon when he sees him. He hated him now more than ever. He had told Mr. Hallquist that Jearon was his and that he was going to take care of him once and for all. 

A loud bang came from downstairs, making Ezra sit up straight. He rushed downstairs and into the kitchen. Mr. Hallquist stood there with blood on his hands staring down at a broken glass bowl. Ezra crept closer and bent down so he could help pick up the broken pieces. 

"Thank you," Mr. Hallquist sighed. He walked towards the sink and turned it on. Red-stained water filled the sink as he washed the blood from his hands before wrapping his hand up in a towel to stop the bleeding. "It's going to be a shame when you have to go, Ezra. You've been really helpful around the house."

Ezra rolled his eyes. "I'm bored and on edge. I need to know that this place is safe." He looked up at Mr. Hallquist for a second. "Don't remind me that I have to leave."

Mr. Hallquist shrugged. "Do you know where you'll go?"

Ezra gave a shrug in return. He hadn't truly thought about this, because he didn't want to think about leaving Aubrey again. He sighed as he answered, "Most likely I'll be going back to my cabin."

"The same place that you took my daughter?"

Ezra nodded. "Yes," he answered through clenched teeth. He finished picking all the pieces up and swept them into a bag. He stood up and started to walk out towards the outside trash can when Mr. Hallquist stopped him. He pointed to the bag and held out his hand. 

"I'm sorry, Ezra, but I can't have the press knowing that I'm keeping the man who kidnapped my child the first time in my house." He took the bag out of Ezra's hand and walked outside.

Ezra glared at the man's back and leaned against the kitchen counter while he waited for him to come back inside. When he did, Ezra came up to him and asked, "When are we going to go get Aubrey? It's been too long." He crossed his arms across his chest. 

"Ezra," Mr. Hallquist sighed. "It's only been three days. We still have a lot to plan." He tried to get past him, but Ezra wouldn't budge. 

"We don't have anything else to plan," he countered. "We have to just do it. Do you have everyone you need? Do you have all the supplies that you need?"

Mr. Hallquist pressed his lips together and nodded. "Yes, I do."

"Then we need to do this now! I am sure that he took her to the warehouse. He wouldn't risk exposing his house to more people. He wouldn't risk it being destroyed." Ezra paused. "I know that warehouse like the back of my hand. I want to get your daughter back, Mr. Hallquist. I want to know that she is safe before I have to leave her forever." He shrugged his shoulders. "Don't you want to get your daughter back?"

Mr. Hallquist nodded. He crossed his arms and gave Ezra a challenging look. A look that Ezra has seen in Aubrey's eyes. "You know how badly I want my daughter back. You know what I would do to get her back."

"If you want her back, you need to take action right now." Ezra sighed as he relaxed his posture. "At least let me go in first." He held up a hand when Mr. Hallquist opened his mouth to interrupt. "Just hear me out. You want me gone and you truly don't care how I disappear. Jearon will not let me get anywhere near Aubrey. He would kill me just so he could have her."

Mr. Hallquist gave Ezra a strange look. "You're willing to sacrifice your life so I can have my daughter back?"

Ezra nodded. "I'd prefer if I kept my life, but yes. I'll distract Jearon and his goons so you and your friends can save Aubrey. I love her, sir and I'm willing to lay down my life for her." He took a deep breath. "Don't bring her back here. Take her somewhere else."

Mr. Hallquist's posture relaxed slightly. "Why would we not bring her back here?"

"If I can't kill Jearon and he kills me, this will be the first place he would look." Ezra paused before continuing. "He wants your daughter badly. He told me when we were up at my cabin and that's why I took your daughter somewhere safer. I may be dangerous, but he's dangerous to everyone around him. He made me a promise that if I tried to stand in his way, I'll be dead." He looked straight into Mr. Hallquist's eyes and pleaded with him, "You have to trust me, Mr. Hallquist. This won't work unless you trust me. I want her back as much as you do and I will do anything to make sure that she comes back home safe and sound."

Mr. Hallquist stared hard at Ezra for a while until he nodded his head. "All right. I'm putting my trust in you, Ezra. But you listen to me, if you do anything to ruin the rescue that prevents me to get to my daughter, I will personally kill you."

Ezra nodded. "I won't fight if you do."

Mr. Hallquist nodded, satisfied, and stepped around him. As he was walking away, he announced, "We leave in the morning."