Chapter Eighteen

Aubrey didn't sleep well at all that night. The bed was comfortable, extremely comfortable, but she couldn't sleep. Jearon was sleeping on the floor next to the door so he could make sure that she didn't try to escape while he was sleeping. She couldn't sleep knowing that he was too close to her for her liking. Even when she did try to sleep, she kept having recurring dreams of Ezra being killed and tortured. She hoped that Ezra and her father would get here soon, she didn't like being here and wanted to be back with them. 

She was thankful that he didn't sleep in the bed with her. She hated that he was over by the door, but he wasn't right next to her. At least he was slightly respectful with that. 

She sat up and stretched the ache in her neck out. She must have been laying on her neck wrong last night. Looking at the clock, she noticed that it was eight o'clock in the morning. She was praying that this was the day that Ezra would come and save her – and her father would save her too. Aubrey couldn't wait to be back in both of their arms and have them be with her forever. When they succeed and take her home, she was going to tell Ezra exactly how she feels about him. He needs to know. She hoped that he felt the same way about her. 

Aubrey heard Jearon stirring by the door. She kept her eyes on him as he slowly stood up and stretched his limbs.

"I really do hate sleeping on floors," he commented darkly. 

Aubrey shrugged and glared at him. "I don't mind. I slept on the floor for three days and it was fine for me."

Jearon looked over at her and glared. "Not the day to poke fun at me, Aubrey. I have work to do." He stalked over to his closet and picked out another shirt and started to unbutton the shirt he had on. "I'll break that habit of yours when we're married."

Aubrey looked away as she bit her tongue, not wanting to see what was underneath and not wanting to anger him any more. Eventually, she heard footsteps walking away from the closet and back towards the door. She looked up and frowned at Jearon dressed in all black. 

Jearon noticed her frowning and held up his hands. "What? Someone's going to die, and I need to honor their death."

"You'll be honoring your own," Aubrey mumbled.

Jearon glared at her and quickly stalked over to her. He reached out and grabbed both of her wrists and pulled her against him. "Listen here, Aubrey. I'm going to let that comment slide because of how important today is, but the next time, you might not be so lucky. For the future, don't talk unless I tell you too." He pushed her down on the bed and stood over her. "You're going to be my bride and you better start practicing obeying me."

"Fuck you," Aubrey growled at him. 

"Yes," Jearon rolled his eyes. "I will be doing that soon as well. Once everything blows over and there's no one else that cares for you, you will become my bride." He leaned forward. "You'll then get to taste what power actually tastes like."

"You can't make me do that." She tried to control her limbs from shaking, but she was extremely frightened. 

Jearon nodded. "Yes, I can. I can make you do whatever I want you to do. All that I have to make sure to take care of is to make sure that that traitor is out of the picture. Once he's out, you won't have anyone to feel guilty about after our honeymoon." He smiled wide. "I've always wanted a wife, but it's so hard to find one when you're the head of a gang. Especially ones that will obey my every whim."

"You're insane," she shook her head in terrified amazement. 

Jearon laughed. "Nope, I'm not crazy. Everyone says I am, but I'm not." He tapped the side of his head. "I've been checked. I just have wonderful ideas and sometimes they might come off as impossible or insane, but I make them work." He paused as he looked over her body. She was still dressed in the blue dress that he had given her to wear. "Do you know how I make them work?"